Ever build something "just for silliness?"

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by W6ELH, Feb 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W6ELH

W6ELH Ham Member QRZ Page

I know this is goofy, but I've admired these IFF radio destruct switch boxes you see on eBay, and finally spotted one at a reduced price. Then I wound up with a small pile of spent 811s but with good filaments. A local hamfest provided an Eico resistance substitution box in which most of the resistors had drifted badly. Hmm...

IMG_2557.jpg

So it's got a generic dimmer switch from Home Depot inside and a little 6.3-volt transformer. The switch and pilot light were just gingerbread, but they make sure I don't forget it's on as I leave the radio room. I sent a video of it to my 5-yeard old nephew, running the filaments up and down with the dial, and his dad says he's absolutely mesmerized by it.

Pointless, silly, but oddly fun. :) Cheers... Jim W6ELH

K9ASE and KP4SX like this.
  2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Building stuff just for silliness can be the most enjoyable thing to do!!
    No stress to get it right for it to serve an important purpose.

That's why my brothers friends started calling me the "Mad Agent" back in
    my Yute, They thought of me as some kinda "Mad Scientist"

W9FTV and W6ELH like this.
  3. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes! A box that makes funny noises is always good fun.

W4RAV and W6ELH like this.
  4. W6ELH

W6ELH Ham Member QRZ Page

Whoops! I'm now told that Jules, the 5-yeard old nephew, has begun to dismantle things like the TV remotes to see what is inside. Now who do you suppose is going to get the blame for that?

I sent him a video of the Morrow Conelrad monitor I just acquired, showing him the replaced capacitors and the tubes, and then powering it up out of the cabinet so he could watch the glow of the little tubes. His dad says he watches these videos over and over - literally dozens of times. Hmm, may have started something here!

K9ASE and KE5OFJ like this.
  5. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I built a buzzer transmitter once, just because so many of the first generation of hams started with one and I wanted to keep the tradition alive. There were supposed to have a range of about one 500 ft. New York City block, and that's about what mine had.

W6ELH likes this.
  6. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Another good thing is 'circuit bending'.

When you graduate you can build things like this Furby organ

7. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I made a rainbow with 7 or eight different colored LED's :rolleyes:

Rege

8. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I built a few things for silliness but she didn't like them.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

K9ASE and WB0MPB like this.
  9. WB0RIO

WB0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Not to one-up you, but I built a 13 color LED rainbow a few years ago:
    http://www.solorb.com/elect/ledcirc/ledrbow1/index.html
    There are even more LED colors these days, one of the nicer ones is "royal blue", which is between blue and violet.

Apparently, LEDs can be used as color-sensitive light detectors, it would be interesting to use a multi-colored LED array as a color spectrum analyzer.

Another fun/useless project I've not yet completed is a digital clock with different color 7-segment LED displays.
    Jameco sells a line of 7 segment displays that come in red, yellow, green and blue, all with the same size and pinout.
    Add an Arduino board and a cheapo GPS shield board and it would become a useful GPS synchronized clock.

Sometimes, with a little effort, a useless/silly project can be turned into something useful.

10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I built a led box with a few 555s that flashed in a random fashion. things like that amused my sons until they grew up and moved out.
    Now my oldest son has a room, in his house, full of Xmas light strings and a freq sensitive driver circuit that flash with his music. :D

W6ELH likes this.