Etiquette question: when to call /Mobile?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by HB9FUH, Jan 10, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no requirement in the US under FCC regulations to identify as mobile, portable etc.

2. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I agree with using /M if you're trying to work DX as someone already noted. But, I usually don't use it unless I want the QSO to end early. To some, it means poor copy conditions, no matter how loud you may be.

3. KD5AUU

KD5AUU Ham Member QRZ Page

I run pretty much only mobile HF and whether I am moving or stationary I always identify my station as a mobile...........mostly just because I like to hear the responses.........like ...........are you frickin' kidding me man?? No way that's a mobile!!!.......... Yeah ..........

4. KJ6NWU

KJ6NWU Ham Member QRZ Page

My understanding has always been that one is "mobile" when one has self-contained power and one's radio and antenna are not permanently affixed to anything. One also doesn't have to tell anyone if one does not want to.

A far more important question: How do you pronounce "mobile"? Do you say "mobil" like the oil company, or do you say "mO-bile" like I do? Maybe you say it like "mo-beal" as in the Bat-Mobile...

5. W9RDC

W9RDC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This has merely been my impression, so maybe I'm off:
    • In your or someone else's shack, any radio = fixed station
    • In a vehicle, not parked, but during the course of traveling = mobile
    • Hiking, backpacking, back yard, SOTA, NPOTA, or any temporary "fixed" station (including external antenna setups, while operating from a parked vehicle e.g. on your lunch hour) = portable

6. AA4JR

AA4JR Ham Member QRZ Page

Lazarus thread....Back from the dead. :p

7. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last week, I operated on 40m CW with this setup:

[​IMG]

I was inside a wheeled vehicle, but it would take around 20 minutes to convert it between a vehicle that could go down the road and a camping unit that a person could occupy. The antenna was on a tripod resting on the ground, but bungee corded to the trailer for stabilization purposes. The radio was not mounted to anything; just resting on the dinette table inside the trailer.

If it makes a difference, the trailer has its own battery that's charged by the tow vehicle's alternator, but I was using a separate battery not attached to anything. My site did not have utility AC power available, but other nearby sites did.

As the thread points out, this is an etiquette question, not a legal one, since, at least in the USA, there is no legal requirement for /M or /P suffixes, and no precisely defined legal meaning for them.

I called CQ using my call sign with no suffix. But when I got into a QSO, I told the other party that I was operating /P in a campground.

Even though I was in a wheeled vehicle capable of travel, it couldn't be towed down the road with a human inside of it, nor could the antenna function while mobile. So I think /M is inappropriate. /P seems more-or-less appropriate, but it's optional.

I was under the impression that "/M" served primarily as a warning that "I'm moving, and my signal may temporarily weaken and strengthen due to terrain."