ad: Momobeam-1

Etiquette question: when to call /Mobile?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by HB9FUH, Jan 10, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N0VGL

N0VGL Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing I've noticed when checking into an HF net or trying to contact a station that has a small pile up the operators on the receiving end sometimes will acknowlege a mobile call over everyone else first.

KJ6NWU likes this.
  2. KD8TTH

KD8TTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Any time you are in a car or Rv parked and you can start it up and drive away and still talk you are a mobile and I would like to know that. So yes you are mobile .

3. K4ISR

K4ISR Ham Member QRZ Page

Mobile: in a vehicle, moving or not.

Portable: Using an HT while on foot, moving or not.

If using a portable HT in a mobile, it is still mobile. If using a mobile in a backpack while portable, it is still portable.

If using a mobile or portable while stopped for a long period, say at your QTH, campground, radio club, etc, then neither applies unless you are just leaving.

4. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well there is in the UK! This is your main station address.

If you are operating from a different building, ie a different address, we add the suffix /A (meaning you are at an alternative temporary address)

If you are operating in a tent, a caravan, in a field, on a beach, on a hill, etc, with a temporary antenna you have rigged up, this is a Temporary Location - you are Portable, so add /P. (this is regardless of whether you're using a battery, a generator, or have run a cable to pick up a mains feed from somewhere)

If you are operating from a vehicle (including a huge Winnebago) that is CAPABLE of still transmitting while moving (ie using a vehicle-mounted antenna, like a loaded whip), then you are mobile so would normally sign /M even if you are parked up.

However, if you have hooked up a big dipole to your rig in the vehicle, THEN you are operating portable, so should sign /P.

Using a handheld rig with a whip antenna attached to the rig is a grey area . . . if you are walking around, then you should sign /M (mobile) . . . but if you have gone to a hilltop to use it, fairly stationary, then I would sign /P (portable).

5. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

think of it in terms of infrastructure and your involvement in creating that infrastructure

Your QTH: 120 VAC delivered to your door, robust box to attach masts to, room for antennas
    Your vehicle: You had to do some engineering to get 12 VDC to your transceiver, limited space for antennas that need to survive freeway speeds. less resources with more limitations. a mobile station, whether it is in your driveway or on a mountaintop
    Manpack station: much less resources with still more limitations. Portable, if you are using a portable antenna. not so much if you are attached to a tribander on a tower, with a rotator

the station and the manner of use determine the status.

6. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

You could always ID with 'stationary' vs 'mobile'

7. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very interesting to me. I am about to set up a "mobile" rig in my truck, with both a conventional HF mobile antenna and a rotatable mini-dipole ( 14' boom ) for HF on a tripod push-up and guyed mast in the bed of the truck. My "reading" of the issue is that I am mobile whether actually moving or parked ( parked up ) ( or parked down ), as long as the entire station/power/antennas are insulated from the "world" by the vehicle tires. In other words, the guys are attached only to the truck. Of course I wouldn't be using the extended mast while actually moving, though it would be possible, just not very smart ( think overhead power lines ).

So, IF I connected to external power OR attached a guy rope or antenna support to a tree or building, THEN I would be portable? Otherwise, I'd be mobile. For sure. Maybe.

8. K9ILL

K9ILL Ham Member QRZ Page

I run a rig in my 18 wheeler and always call "mobile". If I'm in TX, I say K9ILL mobile/5.

9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Portable would be if you have to get out of the car and unmount / stow / disconnect something in order to drive. Mobile would apply if you are driving, or can start the car and drive without having to do anything other than go.

10. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless it is (like today) the sixth day of the week.

When in a parked vehicle and using a hand held transceiver, then "fixed portable mobile" would likely cover everything. ;)