Etiquette question: when to call /Mobile?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by HB9FUH, Jan 10, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. HB9FUH

HB9FUH Ham Member QRZ Page

Would you call /mobile if you were parked up in your vehicle, or only when actually moving? What if your vehicle WAS your shack, i.e. you have no other radio setup?

I'm in the latter category: lack of space means I don't have a fixed shack, so my (now working!) vehicle setup is my only radio. If/when I dare use it when driving, clearly I would call /M, but what is the etiquette when parked up? I know some operatirs like to work unusual calls, but by the same token I don't want to appear as though I am deliberately fooling anyone.

2. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thomas,

If your station is in a car and capable of operation while moving, you can consider it as a "mobile" even if it is not moving at the time of the QSO.

Of course, this is only my opinion, but having operated mobile in the past, I used to do that... I would not consider using the /M designator for field day type of operation where the station (radio) is in a vehicle but is using an external antenna or power supply NOT attached to the vehicle.

73 Gary

KG7OTL likes this.
  3. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I run a radio in my boat. I always use Marine Mobile whether I am underway, at anchor or tied to the dock.

4. KK4ZIP

KK4ZIP Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if everyone makes the distinction, but when I'm moving, I call Mobile, and when I'm parked, I call portable.

Just how I do it,
    Taylor, KK4ZIP

5. KK6RBI

KK6RBI Ham Member QRZ Page

I generally call mobile anytime I'm out and hitting repeaters or calling on Simplex. Mainly because my only radios are mobile or handheld and I'm usually moving.

6. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

I started another thread about mobile station logging. Do you upload your log as callsign/M?

If not, then why indicate you are operating mobile? ( Don't mean to hijack this thread so, if you prefer, please respond on the other one. )

7. HB9FUH

TBH I haven't uploaded anything yet. And I haven't called /m, but I have mentioned that I am mobile during the conversation.

8. HB9FUH

I've decided to call /M only when I'm actually on the move, otherwise I'll treat it like my fixed shack.

So, assuming I'm driving through France (which happens quite a bit), I would be calling F/HB9FUH/M, correct?

9. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just don't say "for ID". :)

10. N5VSD

N5VSD Ham Member QRZ Page

If your radio is mounted in something with wheels that can move then you are mobile even if parked. If your radio can transmit anyplace you go then you are portable.

KD0XL likes this.