ad: Alphaant-1

Ether Ruts

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KL7AJ, Oct 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I KNOW that W1AW runs within legal power limits (I know, I've been there a couple of times), and while their antenna array is respectable, it's by no means a world-class "Big Gun"....I've seen bigger 20 meter beams, even in Alaska.

HOWEVER....I don't care HOW dead the band is....W1AW always rips in here. Yesterday around 1pm local, it was 35 over S9 on 20M. It's been like this for decades. All I can figure is that W1AW has been operating for so long it has burned ruts in the ether between CT and AK. Not complaining, mind you....I just wonder how they do it.

2. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting observation, ha ha, but I think the real explanation is simple: W1AW operates on a schedule. They don't check whether the band is open or not, they just open up and start transmitting.

Other guys don't operate like that. They check the band, don't hear anyone else, and conclude the band is closed and go elsewhere or go do something else. If they actually called CQ they might find that the band really is open.

WA9UAA, N8SAN and N0TZU like this.