ad: Correctmanual-1

ER nets in around the storm area or other coms???

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB2WVO, Sep 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Without getting into that discussion more deeply, I would point out that nothing stops any disaster related communications groups from requesting and licensing operating frequencies in the HF range for their own use, outside of the amateur bands. I'm not saying it is necessary for them to do so, but it's an option they have.

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I would also point out that if the CW operations really do happen @3573, with appropriate filters in place, they won't clash with FT8 operations above them.

3. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm at my Winchester VA QTH and not at my "huricane home" in Brunswick County, NC. We unfortunately think we may lose our home to this storm. We've owned there since 1978. We've been through a lot of big storms, but this one looks very different.

Below is what our club sent out late yesterday. This area is now where the hurricane is forecast to spend about 24 hours as it comes close to land tomorrow night.

This Wednesday (9/12/2018) monthly meeting of the Brunswick Shores Amateur Radio Club is canceled. Also, the Holden Beach Marathon race is canceled. The county ARES is activated as Hurricane Florence approaches.

The Wednesday morning breakfast at BoJangles in Southport is still planned.

Brunswick County ARES will use the 147.315 repeater frequency (147.315 +600 Tone 118.8). If the repeater is out we will use 147.315 SIMPLEX Tone 118.8. Using the 118.8 tone for simplex allows anyone who has set a tone squelch to use 147.315 simplex without changing. Just turn off the offset on your normal repeater setting to use simplex.

If you are hearing stations on 147.315 but are not getting into the repeater, turn off your offset and try simplex.

Backup for Southport and Oak Island is 444.600 N4GM repeater. Same rules apply for going simplex.

Calabash, Sunset Beach and Ocean Isle will use the 444.750 + T 118.8 repeater which is linked to the 147.315. Same simplex rules apply.

First priority is your family and personal safety. Mandatory evacuations have already been announced and more are expected. The shelters are opening. Monitoring the 147.315 and 444.750 (Calabash Link to 147.315) repeaters and ARES announcements.

I unfortunately think much of my favorite old Ten Tec, Heathkit, etc., in my garage hamshack is about to become saltwater marinated.

I doubt we'll hear from anyone from the Oak Island/Southport, NC, for a while. About 30 minutes ago the TV showed that the area could be without power and water/sewer for 2-4 weeks.

I'd be glad to hear from anyone who knows what it is actually like in Southport, Oak Island, Baldhead Island, or Holden Beach after about 8:00 AM Friday.

I can operate CW and SSB on 75, 40, and 20.

Old Ken
    W4KJG

N2IIE likes this.
  4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Stay safe Ken.

N0TZU and W4KJG like this.
  5. KB2WVO

KB2WVO Ham Member QRZ Page

thank you to both poster... this is just what we should have... info that is import and needed. not for just hams but SWL's and anyone else scanner listeners also... its good to have as much info in cases like this...

W4KJG likes this.
  6. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent list for those who wish to monitor the hurricane commies. Is is real easy to scan past, especially due to the state of current propagation. Thanks.

7. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am listening to the Hurricane Watch Net on both 20 and 40 meters. Many stations checking in that are inside the watch and warning areas. Very interesting and very cool most of all because the signals are via the shortwaves. That's what it is all about.

KB2WVO likes this.
  8. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just bumping this up in case people want to tune in this weekend.

KB2WVO and KC8VWM like this.