ad: GNOHF-1

Equipment - New vs Used Pricing

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by K4BYB, Jul 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Reminds me of Ebay sales.

A item has a sale price of $1.00 + $20.00 Shipping.

If it is junk you can get a refund of $1.

Seller still makes money because shipping cost was only $5.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    AG6QR likes this.
  2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes you can.

I have any number of FFLs near me who will receive a shipment from another out of state FFL for a flat fee. I can shop those and compare fees, then buy my gun online. FFL there ships it to my FFL here, who runs the NCIS check and sells it to me for $20 more (the typical charge for this.)

People who price things above new price either don't realize the price has dropped, suffer from "irrational exuberance," or, perhaps, hope to find a suck...er, someone who doesn't know the new price.

More puzzling to me are the things price what seems to me awfully CLOSE to new price. To use the IC-7300 as an example. When I can buy a new one for $973 (after mail in rebate) there's no way I'd pay more than $750 for a used one. But people do. Maybe they can't afford the extra hundred bucks above that 979 and then having to wait on the rebate, dunno. But I very seldom buy any current model anything used because for the typical price difference I'll just buy new. Others are either more broke or more sting...er, frugal than I and will choose used. And that's fine for both of us. :)

3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why won't you sell to Puerto Rico? Shipping cost is the same. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

AJ4GQ likes this.
  4. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Pues, no quiero engañarlos a los Puertorriquños tanto como los gringos.

Translation: Thanks for bringing that unintentional oversight to my attention. My offer extends to your island as well.

5. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish I would have sold my IC-756Pro III several years ago when I could have gotten about $1200. Lucky to get $800 now. The IC-7300 kinda killed the used price market in the sub 2k range.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

6. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

:)

7. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly... Just because there isn't a line item for "shipping" on the bill, doesn't mean that you aren't paying for it some way or the other.