ad: GNOHF-1

Equipment - New vs Used Pricing

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by K4BYB, Jul 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4BYB

K4BYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why would the asking price of some used equipment for sale on QRZ be close to the current price of new equipment (in some cases even more than new)? One example would be the Icom IC-7300....there certainly is no shortage of new ones available.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Like cars. The price drops as soon as you get them home.

The price can go up after being tested and blessed by a Extra Class operator. :rolleyes:o_O

Free shipping is hard to beat. No tax, But Paypal fees apply.

3. K4BYB

That's funny. The free shipping is a moot point in that most of the online retailers ship for free plus allow returns.

AG5DB likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If the "used" price is too high, it won't sell. If too low, buyers will line up and post "I'll take it if the deal falls through"

The market always determines the price of any commodity

Dave
    W7UUU

N1VAU likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. That is one reason new is cheaper.

I wonder if they are afraid of parts swappers. :rolleyes:

WZ7U likes this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

You can kick this dead horse all you want the answer is the same as it's always been. We don't get to tell a seller what price to ask for his equipment and we don't get to tell a buyer what price to pay. If the gear is priced too high it likely will not sell. If it does sell the buyer and seller apparently came to an agreement on a price, asking or otherwise. It's up to the buyer to do their homework when it comes to pricing on the gear they are looking to purchase.

K3EY and N1VAU like this.
  7. K4BYB

I was trapshooter for many years and the same scenario existed. My philosophy is as long as there is a willing seller and a willing buyer...if they're both happy with deal then it's okay. The difference is that one can't buy a gun on the internet nor really "shop prices" and the higher quality guns do hold value and in many cases increase.
    I purchased my first HF transceiver form someone on QZR. I admit it was a very good deal given what the "deal" included...but that seems to be the exception.
    JMHO
    Jim

8. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think selling me your entire station for half of the prices you've seen here would make your point.

Send pictures of all units working while sitting on a copy of today's NY Times, along with a youtube video equal to the quality of Burt's. None of that "no returns/part swapper" stuff either!

My email address is in my bio! :D

9. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no such thing as free shipping. When did you see USPS, FedEx or UPS offer to ship for free?
    Someone is paying, and guess who that is?
    We badly need an English word that means "no extra charge". That would substituted for "free" In most cases.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

K4BYB likes this.
  10. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

We have such a word. "Included". I have a dollar bill in my wallet. I'll sell it to a CONUS buyer for $15.00, shipping included.

Perhaps that's not a price the market will bear; we'll see.

K4BYB likes this.