Equipment Needed to Run FT8 With ICOM IC-756pro..............

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K2WH, Nov 10, 2018 at 1:07 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K2WH

K2WH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I've been running all the digital modes with my Yaesu FTdx3000 with no problem, just a USB cable from the computer to the USB port on the 3000.

I would like to use my ancient, very nice, fully functional ICOM 756pro (the original pro) as a backup in case something fails in the 3000.

I remember in the past (about 18 years ago), using the 756 with a rigblaster, and audio cables in and out of the rig to the computer. I don't want to go through that again (all the cables), and was wondering over the past 18 years is there any other method to interface to the 756 perhaps via the CI-V port or the DB-9.

2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The 756Pro manual shows rear panel connections for modulation in / fixed audio out, and CI-V. There might be a DB-9 connector on the CT-17 level converter, but I don't think there is one on the back panel of the 756Pro.

My understanding is that the digital modes "of today" use audio tones for modulation. It isn't like RTTY where the transceiver can do FSK with a single keying input from the PC. So, if the transceiver doesn't have a built-in sound card, you have to use an external one for these modes. Some rigs support PSK-31 and RTTY with digital (serial port) inputs and do not require a sound card, but I don't think anyone makes one with built-in FT-8. (Yet.)

While simple interfaces like the SignaLink can provide the audio I/O capability (and provide an internal PTT keying signal), they have no capability for transceiver control, CW keying or true FSK keying. For this you need a "full interface". With quite a few cables.

If you are only interested in a backup for FT-8, you could probably make it work with a SignaLink.

3. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

You pretty much have a good understanding of what it takes to connect your '756Pro to your computer - cables and all.