Equipment For Winlink and issues with AGWPE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI7NPM, Aug 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KI7NPM

KI7NPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings,

So recently i have been polishing off my Go kit. I saw a couple videos and have the itch to try Winlink so i can add it to my list of things my go bag can do. Now I have had no other experience with digital modes of radio but I have a Yaesu FT-857d that is certainly capable of all the data modes.

So my research took me to what i might need to start experimenting with Winlink. This is where I started to get confused. I noticed that if i use a program like AGWPE i wont need a TNC however this application says i have no sound card available (Motherboard's sound card is what i use to play sound on this laptop). I got my information about setting up AGWPE from here:
    http://www.twarc.org/departments/digital-modes/agwpe---free-version/agwpe-freeware

By my research this is what i do have that i will need:
    -Radio capable of Digital (check)
    -Downloaded AGWPE (Check)
    -Downloaded Winlink express (check)
    -Cables to connect sound card to radio (they look like auxiliary cables if that's all i need then I have them)

Can anyone give tips maybe tell me if I am doing something wrong? Is there something else I need I did not mention? Can I not use the motherboard sound card on AGWPE?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  2. KG7LEA

KG7LEA Ham Member QRZ Page

I recommend face-to-face help with installation and getting started. A local RACES/ARES group is probably using Winlink. A single obscure setting on the software improperly done can make the difference.

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This sounds like good advice, but if configuration is really that touchy, it also sounds like the community needs to invest in better documentation.

4. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

What frequency do you plan to use? 2m, 70cm, 10 meters, 11 meters?

5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I learned a new acronym today.

KK5JY likes this.
  6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I seem to recall using mine with a Rigblaster PnP, which uses the internal computer sound device. However, this was on an older XP laptop with true mic and headphone jacks, and not the TRRS one. I've also used it with a Signalink USB and a Win7 laptop with no issues.

7. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For HF, you would want to use WINMOR - a sound card modem, and any sound card interface should work. I do like the Rigblaster PnP, for it's simplicity. An external soundcard might be a good idea, so you can assign your digital work to that soundcard, and leave the built in audio as 'default' in Windows. There is a new protocol that will replace WINMOR - ARDOP, and it is included in the current version of Winlink Express - which is the client you need.

For VHF, I'd save myself some trouble and get a real TNC - you can find Kantronics units on EBay for relatively little money. I've done the AGWPE solution, and it works, but it's a klooge, at very best. WINLINK on VHF is a great idea as long as there is an active local node - otherwise, HF is the only answer.