eQSL?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KD0BQM, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N8UZE

N8UZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Either your mortgage & groceries are unbelievably low or you are working hundreds if not thousands of stations per month.

2. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

From the ARRL LoTW website:

I can't believe the ARRL would make you do that much work to get a new key! How dare they!

Scott NØIU

3. KB9BIT

KB9BIT Ham Member QRZ Page

I use both eQSL and LoTW.  eQSL is a nice concept, but I don't count any eQSLs I receive as legit for my purposes since ARRL does not accept them for credit toward awards.  That's just my preference.  I do upload my logs to both LoTW and eQSL since I know lots of people use one or both so anyone I work will get one or the other or both.

Either way, I still prefer getting a real card for a QSO.

4. KF1DD

KF1DD Ham Member QRZ Page

I send out cards direct, usually within the week of making a contact.  As a backup to my paper log, I use eqsl and LOTW, uploading once a week or so.  This way, I have two other locations in case my logbook disappears on me.  If it does, I can always recreate it from scratch.

If price of postage and supplies start getting a bit hard to handle, I'll cancel my XM Radio and paper subsription.  But with just a few short hours of operaitng time each week, I doubt I'll reach that point anytime soon.

5. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Paper cards for me only via the US mail.  However, on Eqsl, you can enter any call letters when you join.  I entered call letters of a ham who has been DEAD for 20 years and he gets cards.  Rarely, but he does get them.  Eqsl as far as I know does not check if the calls you use when entering are legitimate but his calls are still there.

I could be wrong since its been some time (about 2 years) since I last checked.  Also, I read they were considering, are or will be giving awards for Echolink contacts.  Sad state of affairs, and only for money.  They don't care for accuracy, only the advertisement and membership money or donations.

K2WH

6. K4AVL

K4AVL Ham Member QRZ Page

I too prefer doing it direct, and I've sent out far more cards & SASE's than I've received. I'm also an LOTW & eQSL member, LOTW has helped me get a few good confirmations that I never would have received otherwise.
    I also use eQSL but don't put much stock in it, I did print some out that I didn't get in any other way, but they don't look that great. I also got them to mail me one (costs $1), to test that out, but it didn't look much better than printing it out myself, except that it was on glossy paper, and I chose the "handwriting" on-the-back option, but I don't think it would fool an ARRL Qsl reviewer.
    As far as LOTW, I had a hard drive that semi-crashed and I tried to install it on another computer with much frustration but I was able to copy the entire folder (c:\documents and settings\administrator\application data\trustedQSL) from the old computer to new and it worked again outright (had all the passwords, tweaks & certs set up correctly).

7. N8UZE

N8UZE Ham Member QRZ Page

For anyone to get credit for them or for that call to receive an award, they do require that the call sign be authenticity guaranteed. There are several ways to do this such as upload a copy of a valid license, etc. While not as secure as the LOTW approach, it does provide a modest degree of security.

By the way, once in a while I'll get an eQSL from early in my ham activities. It is most likely due to some one finally computerizing their log and then uploading it. The earliest one I have is from 1992 (same year I was licensed).

8. WA3KYY

WA3KYY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm one who has done that. I have gradually entered all the QSOs in my paper logs starting in 1965 into my computer log. I then created eQSL subaccounts for the different callsigns I had over the years and have uploaded the QSOs. Surprisingly, I have received a few confirmations from that far back.

Mike WA3KYY (ex- WN9PQR, WA9SYP, WA1WTU)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.