ad: elecraft

eQSL?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KD0BQM, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use eQSL as well as send paper cards out. I also am in the 3905 Bureau. I completed WAS with paper cards, but haven't sent them in to the ARRL yet, not really in a big rush to do so. I'm currently working on WAS 40m, just for a nice little accomplishment, not to put a certificate on the wall. I'm also working on WAS CW.

It doesn't really matter to me what organization sponsors an award I may apply for. I use the award as an incentive to get on the air and try different things. Working for WAS CW will certainly improve my CW skills, right? I look at contests in the same manner.

Hope this helps!

73 de Jeff, KF5KWO
    Helotes, TX

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think eQSL is fine for the contest/DX type of "UR599... QRZ--- next station" type of ten-20 second contacts. But for memorable contacts, more than just an exchange of bogus signal reports, a real paper QSL is nice to have. Such as special event stations, (even if the contact is by necessity brief) or ragchews with a special station.

3. N8UZE

N8UZE Ham Member QRZ Page

You are under a misapprehension. You do not have to pay to sign up for LOTW or to upload your logs or to download your confirmations. It is only if/when you apply for an award that fees come into play.

eQSL - To get awards, you must be a member. If you want anything other than the downloadble award certificate (which is terrible looking by the way), you have to pay for it.

ARRL - To get awards, you must be a member and pay for the award.

Looks like the same thing to me although the actual dollar amount differs.

4. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

i see it like this
    if you are going to send a qsl card
    sent a dam qsl card

if you are too cheap or lazy to send a real qsl card
    why bother sending a e qsl card

i do not have a working printer
    anybody sending me a e qsl
    is wasting their and my time

want to send me a card send me a card
    other wise don't bother

i treat e qsl like some kind of ham spam

mac

5. WS2L

WS2L Guest

I QSL via eQSL and also paper QSL. Since I already have all of the awards that I wanted to get I don't care to receive cards anymore but if I receive any I always return 100%.

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been using E-QSL for several years now, it costs nothing.
    If I sent a  QSL card via USPS to  every one I QSOd, I would not be able to afford groceries and mortgage payments !!!
    I have no computer log and it is easy to manually enter replies to the E-QSLs that are sent to me. I check my paper log to verify the ones I get are legit.
    Only have seen a few that are not in my log, I suspect they are from contesters that have gotten my call out of some error they made copying some other ham's call!
    I am not a DX chaser, or after any awards but so far I already have about 20 countries in my E-QSL archives!
    It's fun !
    [​IMG]

7. AB1N

AB1N Ham Member QRZ Page

The main difference between eQSL and LOTW is that LOTW only displays a QSL after both participants have reported the contact. eQSL, on the other hand, reports the QSL from one amateur to the other, regardless of whether there is a matching QSL in the opposite direction. LOTW also requires logs to be cryptographically signed using a private certificate, whereas eQSL accepts plain ADIF logs. All of this makes LOTW QSLs a bit more difficult to fake. I have little interest in eQSL awards, but I am using LOTW to aid in my quest for ARRL awards. Ultimately, I think both services are fine. LOTW is a bit more complicated for some people to figure out, but it is more secure. eQSL is easy and offers awards, too, which many people are just as happy with.

I post my logs to both of these online services, and it's hardly a waste of time. I just take a minute at the end of every month to export my logs and upload them (signed version to LOTW, unsigned version to eQSL). If, after a few months, a particularly desirable QSO has not been confirmed by the other party, then I will send a traditional paper card.

8. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Only paper cards for me. eQSL.cc sucks, and I lost my LoTW key.

9. N9VO

N9VO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I eqsl only for my echolink contacts! Working on WAS and DXCC Echolink........ [​IMG]

10. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Fake DX and fake QSLs. A match made in heaven! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.