ad: Momobeam-1

eQSL?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KD0BQM, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KD0BQM

KD0BQM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have always QSL'd when requested but the recent postal rate increases have put a bit of a crimp in my eagerness to QSL. How does eQSL work and what are the ultimate costs. Also, do I need a special online logbook to participate and, if so, how much does that cost?

I do notice that a number of hams say "No Electronic QSL" in their profile. Why do they not want to eQSL?

Finally, although not a poll, I would be interested in how many of y'all DO use eQSL and why, and how many do not and why not.

Feel Good stories and Horror stories are welcome.

Hugh - KDØBQM

2. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Here we go again.

5...... 4...... 3...... 2...... [​IMG]

3. KD0BQM

KD0BQM Ham Member QRZ Page

OOOOOOOOPS!!!

Guess I should have looked in the archives first. Is that what you mean?

4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

About time we had another eQSL thread. It's been probably a week or two since the last one (sorry Hugh it's not your fault, you're the new guy and haven't seen this argument before).

eQSL QSLs do not count for ARRL awards. (eQSL has their own award system, though, so you're not losing anything unless you're one of those who believe that the only "real" awards are ARRL awards)

There are those who insist that eQSL can be gimmicked to get false QSLs so that it's easy to cheat to get award. There are some who will no doubt post here shortly, that they have recieved dozens or hundreds of fake/false QSLs via eQSL. However, that has not been my experience. I've gotten only a couple of spurious eQSLs in the past few years, and it's a simple thing to Reject those - if they are not in my log just reject them. Not a big deal.

And there are those who consider anything other than a traditional old-style post-card type QSL card to be insulting and discourteous, that "real" hams only send "real" QSL cards, none of that newfangled electronical stuff.

I use eQSL. I also use LOTW. I will reply to any postal QSL cards received but do not originate such exchanges myself any more. I don't use the bureaus. I don't care whether or not there's DX QSL cards that aren't getting to me since I don't chase awards anyway.

5. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

No, Ron covered it pretty well.

You'll probably ignite another endless "debate" on why eQSL is so "terrible".

6. N8UZE

N8UZE Ham Member QRZ Page

How does it work:

You simply sign up and you should apply for the authenticity guaranteed so that your submittals will count for other people's awards.

To upload logs you don't need any special online logbook. Just create an ADIF file from your logging software and upload it.

To upload logs and view QSLs that others have sent you is free. To get awards, you need to be a member. For the Bronze level, the fee is very low, just a few bucks.

Do I use it? Yes but basically only to support those others who use it. Occasionally I will print out an exceptionally nice card just because I like it.

While some organizations will accept eQSL confirmations for their awards, the ARRL does not.

eQSL has it's own set of awards, but they only accept eQSL confirmations. You cannot combine cards or ARRL LOTW confirmations with the eQSL confirmations.

On the other hand, ARRL will accept any combination of LOTW confirmations and actual cards. The ARRL does not accept eQSL or other electronic files (i.e. "cards" attached to emails for example).

I upload my logs to eQSL and LOTW. Once set up it is quite easy.

Those who say "no electronic QSL" are being honest and letting you know that you won't get a response. Basically they are not interested in eQSLs awards so do not want to take the time to get setup and upload files.

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Define "legit." [​IMG]

The ARRL and many award sponsors don't recognize eQSL as valid; their claim is thet contacts can't be verified as real or honest. that's THEIR calim. yet ARRL later came out with LOTW, wnich DOES recognize electronic submissions. On their part, it's at least partle NIH syndrome. (Not Invented Here; meaning at or by the ARRL.)

Even physical QSL cards can be forged or altered to calim credit for invalid or even non-existent contacts; it's just a but easier with electronic submissions.

Sionce I don't chase QSL cards for the most part, and avoid "awards" like the dickens, I don't really care. eQSL is just as good as any. But physical cards DO seem nice to have as a remembrance of a special QSO.

Diff'rent stroke... as they say.

8. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, I think NIH was a big part of it.

Doesn't matter to me anyway. Just got The Gambia (C50C) confirmed for the club callsign (KS3D) on 160m, 80m, 40m, and 15m through eQSL. [​IMG]

They're AG status, too. [​IMG]

9. KC7YPJ

KC7YPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I like getting an actual card in the mail, I finally got my eqsl account set up and will happily confirm contacts via that means (physical card still preffered) I don't chase awards, and I have zero use for the pAyRRL so lotw is out of the question.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Hugh,

I prefer sending QSL cards in the mail and receiving them. I have gotten EQSL but I like the old fashion way of mail QSL cards. Those cards are like a tradition and you can display them either in a book or on the wall. I know postage is getting expensive.

People might say that EQSL are faster and you can print them out but its not the same to me.

I have only been in the hobby for 9 years and I have recieved some real nice cards and notes on them and have showed them to people and displayed them.

So for me, the old QSL cards in the mail are the way to go. I want to keep that tradition alive.

73 and good DX,

Bob  KC2FNE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.