eQSL vs LOTW

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by Guest, Apr 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't want a WiFi router!

Those have been the source of problems where high power r.f. are concerned.

I have thought about installing a switch on the output of my cable modem. Since the route is about 25 feet this does meet the BICSI specification of 10 meters or less. There is a NIC in the computer in the shack. However, the operating system is Windows 98 and I really need to upgrade to XP since there are a number of the "plug ins" that no longer work on 98 and must have XP. That is to be able to either download or use various features on the Internet today.

Of course for logging DOS 5.0 still works!

Glen, K9STH

2. WA3KYY

WA3KYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm, not using high power here (yet), only 100W and no problems so far. Even the 2.4Ghz cordless phones don't bother the WiFi Access Point.

If a wired solution is what you need then get a Linksys or D-Link wired router and run Cat6e cable back to the shack. I actually use a D-Link wired router with a Linksys WiFi Access Point hanging on one of the ports so I can route both wired and WiFi connections. I've had up to 6 computers on simultaneously when contesting single op at 100W with no problems.

I had to switch to the D-Link when we upgraded from DSL to FIOS here.

BTW, YB1 was booming in on 15 at 11:15 EDT, what are you doing hanging out on QRZ? [​IMG]

Mike WA3KYY

3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

The skip to Maryland and to Texas is quite different! The VU4 was being reported on the east coast all sorts of times and yet they were not even "weak" here in Texas!

For the length of the run that I have even a "patch cord" meets BICSI specifications. Running CAT-5e properly would be too much of a hastle and just using CAT-5e wire as POT (plain old telephone) isn't worth doing since the performance of the wire wouldn't be any better than CAT-2 or CAT-3 if the wire is not run correctly!

As for using an r.f. connection, there are a number of these already in operation in my neighborhood and there are definitely several "computer types" on my block and along the alley who are using Wifi connections.

My youngest daughter's husband was thinking of putting in a wireless net when they lived in Cherokee County, Georgia (suburban Atlanta). One day he turned on the r.f. portion of his laptop and accessed no less than 4 different systems (he had to move around in his house to access various ones). Since he works for Nortel (one of the relatively few people that are left and he often works from the house) and since he was dealing with some pretty propriatary data, he decided to stay with the wire connection. They have since moved to Powder Springs, Georgia (another suburb of Atlanta), and he can access at least 2 systems (the houses are farther apart) and sometimes 3 systems. He still uses a wire connection for the connections to the company.

Glen, K9STH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.