ad: ProAudio-1

eQSL confirmations to QRZ?

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by AD0HL, Jan 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. AD0HL

AD0HL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have recently started using FT8 and find that some people only post QSOs to eQSL. I would like to keep QRZ as my primary logging program but can't figure out how to download the eQSL confirmations to QRZ.

I have figured out how to keep WSJT-X, LOTW and QRZ synchronized (It is cumbersome but it works).

Any help would be appreciated.

Terry - AD0HL

2. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ allows import of ADIF files.

QRZ does not provide confirmation credit for eQSL confirmations, only QRZ and LoTW confirmations. It might be possible to gain a QRZ confirmation provided a match occurs within QRZ logbooks.

3. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello, just wondering why QRZ doesnt accept Eqsl confirmations, I've got some contacts in there that arent in my logbook and/or they dont use QRZ
    I thought Eqsl was getting more popular, if so, is this something that might change in the future.
    This site has an easy and versitile logging system without installing extra software.
    It works great for me, just too bad there's 2 or 3 alternatitives.
    thanks, Bob VE3CGA

4. VE3CGA

oops, saw this before I went into the wish list sub forum.
    should be moved there.
    Could I import confirmed qso's from eqsl to my PC log then upload to here
    to get confirmation. Its a manual operation but easily done.
    I guess at present any log uploaded still has to be confirmed throught here except lotw ?

tnx, Bob VE3CGA

5. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It is possible to import an ADIF file into your QRZ logbook.
    Open your logbook
    Click on SETTINGS
    Scroll to Import

QRZ policy regarding confirmations remains unchanged.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

eQSL is not a "double blind" system like LoTW and QRZ. On eQSL, a user can log in and "approve" contacts that may be false entries or erroneous entries. It is claimed by many that "cheating occurs" - i.e., you log in, see some juicy DX that broke a call and ended up sending to you instead of whom they actually worked, so you just confirm and voila! ... you now have the new DX. Or new grid, new state, etc. etc. Example: say a station works W7UU, Gunther in Seattle. But hits the key a third time and erroneously enters W7UUU on eQSL. I log in, see Gunther's "contact" and all I have to do is hit "Approve" and I now have him in my log. Except I never actually worked or logged him! I have had many eQSL requests for stuff like modes I've never even used or bands I don't operate on or during times I wasn't even home!!

LoTW and QRZ are "double blind" which means that unless you enter in the QSO data perfectly (within a 30-minute window), or unless they enter in the QSO data perfectly, neither station sees the request for confirmation and none is granted. Both sides of the transaction are "blind" to what the other person enters - if it doesn't match, it's not visible = "double blind". If W7UU tried to log me on LoTW or QRZ, I will simply never see the request so neither of us will get the contact logged.

Does that help clarify?

Dave
    W7UUU

WP4LQR, YB3FTD and VK4VSM like this.
  7. VE3CGA

thanks, I see how it works now.
    I did update my pc log from eqsl to fill in a couple weeks of missing logs due to a hard drive crash. Had the paper notes but it was easier to download the missing and cross check rather than re-type.
    I guess I share the frustration with others on multiple online databases.
    And I would have WAS and WAC if some of the contacts used the log here as well as or instead of lotw.
    Just got my "cert" again from them, so I'll have to sync the logs there. It expired before I used it.

I am hesitant to use lotw because of the cert system, we had all kinds of trouble when I worked for Honey----. Almost weekly some patch would render all comunication useless without warning and require minimum 4hrs of off shore IT support to get the thing back.
    Didnt seem like anyone knew what was going on, meanwhile there we were under the gun trying to install & commission new hospital systems.
    What a mess and that cert system left a stain.
    I know countless numbers use lotw, its just cryptic

Anyway the system here is smooth, simple and easy.

thanks, Bob

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

LoTW has "pain points" no question.

But like it or not, it's the "gold standard"

Dave
    W7UUU

9. VE3CGA

hey thanks for the info W7UUU.
    I uploaded my log into lotw, then set up my log here to get the lotw data.
    whadda ya know, a bunch of confirms towards the WAS and got the WAC award.
    Started to get an anurism trying to follow the how to's on lotw
    but after a quick search on the forums here found a very easy concise pdf.
    So until I join up here, I'll manually upload into lotw, eqsl, go and download from lotw in the log here
    If I understand things once paid up here, then its like one-stop-logging

thanks again
    Bob

10. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Indeed. Nothing like a P5 confirmation for a 160M QSO at 12 noon eastern time.:D

W7UUU likes this.