eQSL cards

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by K9FV, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm presently on Step # 7. I have the AC0FP.tq6 file but am having a problem installing it.

2. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is true however the only real purpose of using LOTW is to apply for the credits to DXCC or WAS. Short of that it does nothing to augment your personal logs other than to be able to just say that some contact is confirmed. That is fine if it is all someone is interested in.
    I guess you can not be interested in applying for DXCC or WAS and just be helping those who do want to though.

As far as money goes, if you have cards to send to the DXCC desk, and you have LOTW confirmations that you ALSO have cards for, it is much less expensive to go ahead and send the cards since you are sending some cards anyway. I always thought that was goofy!! :confused:
    It is much more work for them to go through your cards by hand to check them than administer the LOTW credits which should only take a few moments but it costs more. :confused:
    As far as cheating goes, anyone can print up a very nice looking award for anything they want whenever they decide they have met their own self designed criteria for it but there is no "prestige" nor effort in it.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  3. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the people who knock eQSL should think about the time and effort it saves, not to mention money on printing and postage.

I have a small stack of blank printed cards. But I can never find the time to write out QSLs. It's just a boring chore. I don't even have any envelopes with the bureau at the moment. On the other hand, my logging software files an eQSL automatically whenever I log a contact.

I'm not DX. Nobody needs a QSL from me anyway. But supposing I was. Would I want to stand the cost of printing and posting the hundreds or even thousands of contacts I'd make, compared to an easy electronic system?

I don't think the risks of faked QSOs are any greater with eQSL than with paper cards. You still rely on the receiver of the card to check the contact. I think the worries about faked claims are overstated. Sure, it happens. But the only loser is the claimant. Who other than the claimant really cares about some radio award anyway. So who is he fooling?

4. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

How will it be different from eQSL.cc if the ARRL decides to charge a fee for eQSLed contacts (which they probably will)?

Server space and bandwidth is not free.

Yeah but there is only one DeSoto cup, and it is pretty hard to get DXCC honor roll or #1 honor roll by legit means.

5. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That really takes out the human element out of it, don't you think? Why have a "card" for eQSL.cc anyway? Why not just say "contact confirmed"?

1000 full color photo glossy cards are $70. Basic cards are cheaper.

However, I am yet to go through 1000 or even 500 cards and my log is some 7000 contacts since last May.

I also don't require return postage and QSL requests are yet to burn a hole in my pocket.

Faked cards are definitely easier with eQSL. At least with faking paper cards, there is a physical means to see if a card was faked. With eQSL you don't know, because eQSL's servers and software are behind locked doors, and run by a third party.

The people who legitimately compete with the claimant for DXCC challenge standings.

Quite a lot of people if you can't distinguish the cheaters from the legitimate ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.