eQSL cards

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by K9FV, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K8YZK

K8YZK Ham Member QRZ Page

I myself use eQSl and not LOTW, as the hoops to jump thru and getting it all setup. I understand about the security they want for their programs. They(ARRL) are a authincated member of eQSL so it would seem that they should accept cards from eQSL.

Now on paper cards, years ago before the advent for the computer in every shack, and paper cards were the norm, I received several cards for contacts I never made, this included cards when I was the DX. I sent the cards back and stated it wasn't me.

There is always ways to beat the systems.

2. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wrong. ARRL won't accept them due to eQSL.cc's inadequate verification that the contact was valid. That's it.

Allow me to debunk another outright lie by you - LoTW costs me no money unless I want to apply the credits to DXCC or WAS. eQSL.cc on the other hand, does charge you money if you want to customize your eQSL image, last I checked.

ARRL has the full option to force eQSLers to pay for eQSLed credits if they were to accept them, so the money issue is a non-issue.

Yes. The fonts, and the watermark in some cases. Any good card checker worth his/her salt knows an eQSL.cc card.

3. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure how/why you say eQSL requires money? I did contribute a couple of yrs ago, happy to do so. BUT if I chose not to donate, the contact still applys to MANY awards out there, eQSL included.

Not sure how the fonts factor in - I use the same fonts when I print the QSL card that I send via postal service.... and what watermark? Is there some special watermark the ARRL requires for QSL cards? Once upon a time, eQSL did print a mark on the card, but not now. I just printed one to check and I could not see it.

Again, as I said before, not trying to be a smart a**, just wishing to know. Not that it applys to me since I don't chase awards - for myself, the number of contacts, states, countries I have made are based on "MY" logs.

73 de Ken H>
    K9FV

4. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

My point exactly - there is always a way to beat the system, and it does seem like paper QSL cards are actually easier contacts to fake than are eQSL contacts with the AG requirement they have.

I don't see much of any way to fake the AG other than breaking into the guys house and stealing his original license, sending that in, then watching his mail everyday until the confirmation letter from eQSL comes in, stealing that, and sending it back without the ham's knowledge.

I guess my original post should have asked the question: Are paper QSL cards easier to fake than eQSL cards?

73 de Ken H>

5. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

For me, e-QSL's rank right up there with e- father's day cards, birthday cards, Christmas Cards, and other e-things.

I do verify 100% of my winlink contacts with imaginary cards.

People fake contacts all the time. They can also fake cards. One of the first WAZ awards issued on 160 (actually I think it was the first) was with faked cards. This is why I never really bother with awards. The important thing is I know what I worked. It doesn't make me a better person to prove it to anyone else.

73 Tom

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  6. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

5Z:

I get DX cards through the "Bureau" all the time that do not have any postage stamps, etc. Some of them do have some sort of signature but many do not.

Glen, K9STH

7. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate being right.... :rolleyes:

8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

people that care only send the very best:) ..... and i like your "style" too:D

9. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The only way as far as I know to get a custom picture eQSL is to donate.

Otherwise you get a generic one which looks the same as the rest of the non-subscribers.

An eQSL has a distinctive look. Any card checker worth his/her salt can quickly tell if the card is an eQSL.

I haven't logged on to eQSL.cc in a long time, so maybe they changed up things.

ARRL requires no special markings but they do scrutinize your card to see if it is fake.

No problem at all. I really don't find anything wrong with people using eQSL.cc, but what I do find a problem with are people who claim that eQSLers are all about the honor system then try to get around ARRL's clearly written rules through lies and deception.

10. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, I agree with you, I've known a few folks who would spend more time faking something that the real thing would take - or so it seems to me. That is why eQSL had to start the AG requirement. As I mentioned before, I'm not sure how anyone can fake the AG. We all know there is a way around everything, even LoTW.

Just today, I printed an eQSL card just to look at - I could tell no difference between it and the regular QSL card I might print off. No marks, standard fonts, nothing different. That is what raised my original question: how to tell the difference, and which is easier to fake, eQSL or paper cards (considering A person could sit down in an afternoon and print up WAS contacts or DXX with paper QSL cards. To make them look more real, perhaps print them over a yr's time, even using different printers. But then, printers are pretty much the same, other than inkjet vs laser.

BUT as Tom said, I just don't chase them myself - I know what I worked and that's all that counts for me.

73 de Ken H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.