epoxies suitable for electronics

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KJ6HZH, Jul 7, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Hard As Nails.

Epoxy is not required and is over kill that can not be removed easily.

2. KW4TI

KW4TI Ham Member QRZ Page

I use marine two-part epoxy to insulate my 1 million volt Tesla coil. There's no problems there. It's good for potting coils and such to keep the turns in place and preventing arcing between them.

If you have glued in the caps and the radio works, I wouldn't mess with it.

AI3V, N0TZU, N5CM and 1 other person like this.
  3. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

wow, ive made a few but not like that,,
    i have a coil my bro made,never tested.its about 4 inch and 36 in long
    need a transformer and caps for the old crude type.
    tell us about yours...

4. KW4TI

KW4TI Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a dual resonant solid state Tesla coil. Rather than using a spark gap, it uses a IGBT (insulated gate bipolar transistor) full bridge to drive the primary current. I put the PCB and circuit designs on my github

https://github.com/profdc9/DRSSTC-PCB-Pack

Because the primary is commutated directly by the IGBT bridge, it is controlled digitally, and therefore the spark can be pulsed at regular intervals to make very loud tones, even polyphony. In some respects, it's easier to make a solid state Tesla coil because the sudden rise in current due to the spark gap can be much harder on the tank circuit than the more gradual rise of a drive resonant series circuit.

I usually show it off on holidays like Halloween and occasionally have showed it to my ham club on the day before Field Day when we're setting up (during better times).

I'd like to make a more powerful one but it requires more than residental power circuits can provide.

K6CLS likes this.
  5. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

not quite telsa but back in the day of B/W TV and octal tubes, I used Bosch epoxy to fix the odd hv flyback that arc'd open cct. Once the wires were soldered a small dab of that goo and no arcing. Todays equivalent is probably JB WELD.

6. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One day I discovered, to my dismay, that JB Weld is filled with powdered steel (or maybe iron). I don't think it's conductive at low voltages, but there's probably better choices for HV use.

7. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

well isnt that a kick in the... one would think it would be magnetic as well to some degree, better non-metalic products out there

8. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Magnetic, yep. That's how I discovered it is ferrous.

I was trying to glue some neodymium disk magnets to a 12" wood school ruler for some project and when I set the edge of the magnet in the wet JB Weld it 'sucked' right up off the ruler onto the face of the magnet! Kinda cool really, but I had to find a different epoxy.

VE3CGA likes this.
  9. KI4IO

KI4IO Ham Member QRZ Page

Boat hulls that are continuously submerged need a proper "barrier coat" like "Interlux Interprotect", System 3 barrier coat, or West System Barrier coat.
    these are specialized epoxies. For those of us without submerged radio gear, regular epoxy of most any flavor would do the trick.

I suppose if you did use a non-barrier coat epoxy in an outdoor application, A few good coats of paint would do the trick.
    Make sure the epoxy is cleaned with soap & water to rid it of the waxy "Amine blush" before painting. Some epoxies,
    like MAS are allegedly "blush-free". YMMV!

Jerry
    KI4IO
    Warrenton, VA

10. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Marine hardened electronics use epoxy to encapsulate circuit boards. Printed circuit boards are made of fiberglass (aka Epoxy).