Entrance panel box location...need a recomendation

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W0MAX, Nov 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. W0MAX

W0MAX Guest

I am a new ham and need a recommendation for an entrance panel box location.

I would like to install one UHF/VHF antenna on the roof and one HF, location is to be determined.

Radios will be located right behind the back door seen on the pictures.

I think there are 3 location options:
    1. On the left side of the door, behind the shiny metal sheeting is a traditional insulated 2x4 wall.
    2. On the right side of the door, behind the shiny metal sheeting is a traditional insulated 2x4 wall.
    3. On the right side where the garden hose is, going through the concrete non insulated wall.
    What would you suggest?
    Thank you!
    Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 5.10.49 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 5.10.28 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2021
  2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

The best location from a overall safety and effectiveness standpoint is next to or very close to your AC service panel. Search "single point ground" in the General Technical Questions and Answers forum for more details.

Your ADUs for both antennas should be bonded to that same rod and the coax should then go into the house from there.

By doing it this way (which is inconvenient for most of us 80-90% of the time) you can achieve a safe single point ground and avoid the dangers inherent in a ground loop situation. We want any lightning surge and static charges to go to ground, not through our equipment. ;)

Jeff

3. W0MAX

W0MAX Guest

Thanks Jeff! The AC service panel is on the opposite corner of the building. When looking at the picture, it is the far right side. I could technically install the coax entrance box right there and route the coax through the garage area inside to the basement which is on the same ground level as the garage. When looking at the AC service panel, I see no grounding. Am I missing something?

The only ground/bonding visible is the one for the cable company service panel, going up from the AC service panel box.

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 5.29.13 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 5.29.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 5.29.37 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 5.29.50 PM.png

4. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Where in relation to your entry panel options will your radios be?

5. W0MAX

W0MAX Guest

Radios will be right behind the back door seen on the pictures.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the meter not the service panel, unless the distribution and circuit breakers are behind the meter in the same locked box.

I've never seen that anywhere. The breakers need to be accessible to the homeowner and not behind anything locked by the utility company.

AK5B likes this.
  7. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the quick pix---but I don't see a ground rod which could be buried close to the foundation or even go under the house to an Ufer ground.

Best thing to do is get an electrician (or your power company, via calling 811) to locate your ground electrode that will also be connected to your main breaker panel. That's the one you want to use to bond your ADUs to.

I recently had an electrician drill a big (3.675") hole in a thick stucco wall for my cable pass through close to my SPG underneath our new breaker box. I know the bigger size pass through will come in handy as I add control cables and other coax runs from various antennas over time.

20211008_085601QRZ.jpg Before caulking

(The old ground rod on the right was later bonded to another new rod as part of my SPG system now in place).

8. W0MAX

W0MAX Guest

Sorry for the confusion. The circuit breakers panel is a separate traditional metal box right across from the meter inside the garage area.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It should have a ground bus bar inside. There's your utility ground.

You might follow a wire from that to earth ground...somewhere. Could go lots of places, but it has to reach earth.

W0MAX likes this.
  10. W0MAX

W0MAX Guest

When I installed a new drainage and dug out around the service panel PVC pipe, I noticed under ground it had an L shape PVC elbow with more PVC heading towards the street. There was no grounding rod anywhere as far as I could tell. I will call the utility company asking them to locate the grounding rod.

AK5B likes this.