Entire shack/shop/man cave lost to fire tonight

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Oct 26, 2020.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave. what's under that 2-step hump again?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The tall cabinet protects our well system pressure tank. The lower cabinet protects the related plumbing for the tank. We considered building off the outside of the building and moving it all so it wasn't in the room, but it was cost-prohibitive. So we'll just make do with it as it is.

WAY better than before the fire - it was all right there unprotected. So at least now there is a structure around it that can be used for something (such as holding all the AV gear!)

Dave
    W7UUU

WD4IGX, KA4DPO and WD4ELG like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Fun project done today - "ON Air Sign" made with stuff I had on hand (for the most part).

I had an old low-power micro-computer ("fanless mini-PC") that was in the fire and suffered some surface damage but still booted. I paired with a 10" el-Cheapo 768p LED monitor that I used for FT8 in the old shack. Same story on the monitor - it was $59 new on Amazon about 4 years ago, and the base had melted off but after a bit of elbow grease it cleaned up really well - stinks if you get too close LOL but it still works just fine. I was going to use a Raspberry Pi but remembered the little "fanless PC" in the junk pile and once I found it still worked, no need to buy a Pi for such a simple task!

In the photo, you can see the scorch marks on the RJ45 network port (which I don't need which is good - it no longer works!). There is a 2.4 GHz dongle for a wireless keyboard I use to start the system (already had the KB laying around)

It's running Open Office "Impress" (Power Point equivalent but free) with a very simple presentation of a red "On the Air" sign and a green "Off the Air" sign :)

I only had to buy two parts: a cheap $9 2.4 GHz controller that will go at the operating desk to change the slides back and forth, and a $13 VESA mount for the screen.

In keeping with my "NO switching power supply wall warts" policy in the new shack, it's powered from a Pyramid 6-Amp supply I had on hand.

HARDLY a necessity device for the shack LOL!! But I've always liked having some sort of "On the Air" sign in my shacks, so why not? It cost practically nothing :)

The end result looks really nice, I gotta say :)

Dave
    W7UUU

on-air2.jpg on-air1.jpg
    on-air5.jpg on-air4.jpg on-air3.jpg

KU4X, KP4SX, KD2UHD and 4 others like this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

W7UUU likes this.
  5. W7UUU

Damn Straight! And keep the gum chewing to yourself!

:D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

WZ7U likes this.
  6. W7UUU

Forgot to post a "full view" to give more of an idea where it fits into the room. The far corner area and all along the long wall will be the operating desk - visitors would see the On Air sign when they walk in.

Dave
    W7UUU

view.jpg

KU4X, KI5OMM and KD2UHD like this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That just about shows MY entire station:( (minus the big LCD screen, that is.:rolleyes:)

KD2UHF likes this.
  8. WN6U

WN6U Subscriber QRZ Page

How about adding a "CAUTION! 20,000 OHMS" option? :eek:

N7VGO, K1OIK, W7UUU and 2 others like this.
  9. W7UUU

Big day - no photos, no fanfare....

But we paid the final retainage check from the insurance company to the builder upon completion of the punch list.

It's now 100% on the "building rebuild" side of the project :)

October 25th, 2020 > June 3, 2021

It's finally done, and fully back to "being ours" with no more builder / contractor crap to deal with :)

Dave

W1TRY, KD4MOJ, KC3PBI and 11 others like this.
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A huge relief I’m sure. Congratulations!!!

W7UUU likes this.