Entire shack/shop/man cave lost to fire tonight

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Oct 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Good progress on the walls today - he's doing a really nice job of it... should have it all rocked tomorrow. Tape/mud starts Monday

Dave
    W7UUU

walls3.jpg walls2.jpg walls1.jpg

W1TRY, N2EY, KA4DPO and 4 others like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The 70" 4K screen will go on the wall behind where you see the yellow gas can. Yes, there's a bunch of 2x8 backing where the wall mount will go :) It's visible in previous photos before the rock went on. All the related signal/power boxes will be out of view behind the screen.

Dave
    W7UUU

tvwall.jpg

W1TRY, N2EY, N0VFJ and 1 other person like this.
  3. WA6SW

WA6SW Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you say Gas Can?

KP4SX and W7UUU like this.
  4. W7UUU

:D:D:D Too funny!!! Well played :)

It's part of the drywall guy's kit - it's diesel for the mud drier he'll be using

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY likes this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, he did... :D

W7UUU likes this.
  6. W7UUU

ALMOST got all the rock done on Friday but not quite. As I figured, a "crew of one" simply makes it take longer. But he's doing a good job - has not missed any of my bazillion electrical boxes so that's good.

All the rock will be up early Monday then he'll start Mud/Tape Episode One. Hoping to have texture / paint a week from Monday, flooring by Wednesday April 14th, electrical trim-out by the end of that week, and FINAL INSPECTION the week of the 19th which means "MOVE IN!!" .... but will just have to see. Yeah, I'm WAY on the "wishful thinking" side on that timeline :)

For now, progress is being made and that's a good thing.

Dave
    W7UUU

srock2.jpg srock1.jpg

W1TRY, N0VFJ, KD2UHD and 3 others like this.
  7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks huge compared to your original move in pics from a while back. But of course...you don't have your console and storage racks moved in yet.

8. W7UUU

It's seems CAVERNOUS to me. It's weird - I know it's exactly the same footprint as before - in fact, the "shack side" is almost two feet narrower than before - I had the new wall built so that the "car side" would have a little more room for the car doors to open.

But once the large operating desks, workbench, and similar furniture as before the fire is all moved in, it will seem more "normal". It's really not going to be much different in function - the only difference is it will all be brand new because of the insurance claim.

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY likes this.
  9. W6GMT

W6GMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So have you narrowed the list of new rigs down to a point of purchase yet. There is a shortage of new equipment available right now.
    Are you going to have a special event station for the grand opening?

10. W7UUU

:)

Well, yes - to the first part. I'm in no rush. The first incarnation of the "new shack" is going to be CW QRP and SWL with a Heathkit HW-9 (@W5BIB), HW-8 (@WR2E), and a Graymark 511 tube regen SWL receiver (@N3AB) ;)

Some very kind souls on QRZ donated those right after the fire for the new shack - so the first RF in and out will be from just those rigs - in fact, they will be the ONLY radios in the new shack initially, used on the air while I get other systems up and running that aren't ham-related.

As for later, yes - it's quite well planned out with pretty much my "dream station" of new, old and everything in between. But even after the new rigs are up, the HW-8, HW-9 and Graymark will be a permanent part of the shack.

Special event you say? ;) hmmmmmmm

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    W1TRY, WD4IGX, W5BIB and 2 others like this.