Entire shack/shop/man cave lost to fire tonight

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Oct 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, I didn't know until today. haven't been around the Zed forums lately. I too have had a fire in the shack about 12 years ago and lost everything. Insurance came through tho.
    It looks great what you are doing. Out of the ashes you rebuild bigger and better.

W7UUU likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes - bigger and better for sure. But so much unreplaceable stuff lost for good :( I have to just move on and not think about all that sort of stuff.

Probably my biggest loss was the Heathkit HW-7 I built in January 1975 as my very first radio for when my Novice ticket would arrive in early March. I still have the carcass but it's well beyond any hope of restoration I'm afraid.

Dave
    W7UUU

hw7.PNG

N2EY likes this.
  3. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know what you did or what your insurance company allowed you to do with some of the equipment that in the shack. But you might find that some of it is still usable or parts are still usable. I had a TS440 that was in the shack and the box was scorched but it worked fine. Pricing of items was a real pain for some of the older (boatanchor) stuff and getting the insurance adjuster to come up to a fair price.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

We've been treated quite well, all things considered. Some items are pretty much a 100% loss as far as insurance goes - others are around 80% of actual replacement value. And yes, we have "replacement value insurance" but that concept has changed in the industry over recent years. They pay a percentage of replacement value unless you actually truly replace the item, and show proof of what you paid to replace it... only then do you get 100% of the "replacement value"

But it tends to all work out in the wash.

We have to keep all of the claimed items until the claim is closed - should there be an audit. But after that, I fully plan to scrap much of it out for parts to either resell to help recoup losses or actually restore to operation. Much of the detritus will just have to go to scrap metal due to extreme fire/water/smoke damage, sorry to say.

And most of the really serious damage and complete destruction in fact was all the main operating gear: IC-7300, FT-950, Omni VI, TR-7A, IC-756ProII, IC-746Pro, TS-820S, most of the Heathkits, etc. :( As my luck had it, the bulk of the "complete destruction" damage in fact centered around the prime operating area.

Dave
    W7UUU

5. W7UUU

Killing time still waiting for "stuff to get started again"....

Laid out some lumber on the floor as per my CAD drawing... it "walks nicely" - 24" from back of each desk to the outside wall for cable access. A good friend is going to custom build the desk using heavy lumber with nice tops, and very well supported for weight of radios.

The usable left side work space will be 8 feet, 32" deep and the right side will be about 10 feet of length to use.

The blue rendering in the CAD image is a 43" wall monitor that will be for the GeoChron, radio display, or an additional computer display (on an HDMI switch)

Dave
    W7UUU

SHACK MOCKUP.PNG

W1TRY, KA2CZU, N0VFJ and 4 others like this.
  6. W7UUU

I. Have. Insulation.

insulation2.jpg insulation1.jpg

KA2CZU, W1TRY, N0VFJ and 1 other person like this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Any in the works for above?

8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Was thinking of you (yes, UUU) today.

I needed a good, season-appropriate article, for the monthly newsletter, you see. Silly season, of course. And that got me to thinking of a certain Heathkit... :p

W7UUU likes this.
  9. W7UUU

Blown in by stages - they will rock / blow / rock / blow etc. and work from one end to the other. That's my understanding anyway. Something like R50 or some such for the attic space - it will be quite well insulated.... right up to the bottom of the end eave vents

Just SO GLAD to have "final final" on the inspection for cover. Now things can move pretty fast

Dave
    W7UUU

WA9SVD, WZ7U and N1YR like this.
  10. W7UUU

I'll have to do some scrambling over the weekend to work the housing for the "well water pressure tank system" into the plan... it's WAY bigger and more involved than had been discussed. But alas, I wasn't home when they built it so couldn't alter things.

I have to move a number of low voltage/data/signal boxes but thankfully not very far. All the AC outlets are fine where they are.

Not sure what I'll do with the "top of the box" - the high part over the water tank - but I allowed for AC in that area so time will tell what I use that space for.

The lower box cover will be what amounts to being the entertainment center stuff shelf. The big screen TV will mount on the wall above it.

Just wish I'd had that darn box system all built weeks ago - would have helped me a LOT getting it set up the way I'll likely want it ... grrrr but I'll make it work

Dave
    W7UUU

watertank box.jpg

N2EY likes this.