Entire shack/shop/man cave lost to fire tonight

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Oct 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, there is that.
    It's been my experience that if the kids want the folks in the picture, they generally tend to stay relatively close on their own. But, every situation is different.

KA4DPO and W4IOA like this.
  2. N3SE

N3SE Ham Member QRZ Page

So sorry to hear glad family is okay.

3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

That was my concern. Our son suggested to us to move where he was living, he had zero desire to live in Oregon again. So after 6 years of thinking about it we took the plunge and headed east, and had a house built a few miles from our son. Made my wife swear to follow the "prime directive" and all is good. Only real issue is our son moved 10 miles away when he found a larger home on 2.5 wooded acres, no big deal.
    Good decision for us, financially I'd never be able to return to Oregon.
    In my younger days I always thought it was a foolish idea to follow the children.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad you are/were able to move like that! (And 10 miles is hardly "far away.") Some of us have to follow (or stay with) the job, and aren't always so lucky.

W4IOA likes this.
  5. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3 sons live 1000 miles away. Daughter is 10 miles away. See her often. See them a couple of times a year

6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Port Malibar is where you want to start your search. Property is not expensive, and there are no restrictions on towers and antennas. It is also pretty upscale so you're not moving into a dump.

7. WA9SVD

On second thought...:confused:The trade may be earthquakes vs hurricane winds AND possible :eek:sinkholes!:rolleyes: Sinkholes don't always give a warning, either!

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So.... a little bit back to the "man cave fire" and all that :)...

Nearing final floor plans - going to work very well ergonomically I should think.

The far left garage bay we've added a rolling "barn rail door" on the back side, so now with the new garage door on the front, it will fully close up. So the more heavy work stuff will happen in there - drill press, sawing, painting, etc. for any shop projects.

But still in a holding pattern now on that stupid final cover inspection for the window headers and the the wall bolts...

Dave
    W7UUU

plan5.PNG plan4.PNG plan3.PNG plan2.PNG plan1.PNG

KD4MOJ, KA4DPO, N0VFJ and 2 others like this.
  9. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool car! 1948 Studebaker?

10. WA9SVD

Looks pretty good, but what about running water... and , well, you know...facilities?