Entire shack/shop/man cave lost to fire tonight

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Oct 26, 2020.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that before, or after their tower fails?:confused:

I know it sounds trite, but a good friend once told me, that "if it's worth doing, do it RIGHT the first time, and there won't BE a second (or third) time."

N2EY likes this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed!

There's also the related phrase "there's never time to do it right but there's always time to do it over"

N2SR likes this.
  3. WA9SVD

But nat all of us HAVE that much time...:(

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Been a long while since any updates..... things are just moving really really slowly right now.

But good news: we got our electrical all inspected and "approved for cover" on the electrical side.

I got all my low voltage wiring in - TONS of data, coax, and camera cables.

An engineer was out today and has added that he wants the entire wooden part of the garage structure to be more securely bolted into the foundation - so alas, that will now stall the project again... they won't be out for 2 weeks to do that, and then yet another inspection before we can start the insulation and Sheetrock. So we won't have "final cover" probably until the end of February now :(

But at least some good progress

The area under the skylight with the bazillion wall outlets is the new main operating position. My chair will be directly below the skylight (moved 4 feet North during reconstruction, due to elimination of the old work bench area along the North wall). 6 AC circuits, tons of quad AC outlets, and 3x 220 outlets for future amplifier use... I should be well served electrically this time around :)

Dave
    W7UUU

[ps: all the white paint is a whitewash sort of anti-smoke treatment for all the studs that survived the fire]

power4.jpg main ops 1.jpg power3.jpg power2.jpg power1.jpg

PU2OZT, N0TZU and KU4X like this.
  5. W1UO

W1UO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Dave, I notice you have your LAN cables poking through metal box extenders. Do you have some clever way to finish this with box/plate? I have the same bundles of LAN cables in my house/shack remodel and was wondering how to terminate those cables in a box/plate. Thanks Pete W1UO/6

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Just standard 2-gang LAN plates - nothing fancy. I could have gone all fancy but it's just for CCTV cameras and a few other small network tasks. A lot of the cabling is just "to have spare wire in place inside the wall" :)

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2021-2-4_15-36-5.png

KU4X and W4NNF like this.
  7. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave,

Two questions.....First: Do you have to get out of the operating (Captain's) chair to grab a beer? Second: How many gallons of my daughter's pink paint do you want?

Seriously, it's all coming together. I'm happy for you. Keep us posted.

Joihn N3AB

KD2UHD, PU2OZT and W7UUU like this.
  8. WA9SVD

Not always... falling off a 100' tower (or getting involved in a 100' tower collapse) rarely gives one a second chance.:(

N2EY and PU2OZT like this.
  9. WA9SVD

It all looks good, (actually, GREAT) but one important detail: be totally weird and be sure to label every breaker (AND keep a list) so you KNOW in the future. ( I believe it's against some contractor's religion, or oath to label circuit breakers themselves.):D

P.S. Glad things are going well. (Say "Hi" to Anne.)

N2EY likes this.
  10. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm curious...how is the bottom plate currently secured to the concrete stemwall? I can't really tell from your pictures.

If the inspector is making a fuss about that, I'm surprised he isn't looking at the truss to top plate connection and making you install something like this: https://www.strongtie.com/rooftruss...ction/s.h_tie/p/s.h25-and-s.h3#ProductDetails

Hard to see any detail on the ends of the trusses, so there may be another type of suitable connection which is not visible. If you really want to go overboard, ask him why he isn't requiring stud-to-plate brackets? Securing the bottom plate is great, but if you don't take the roof into consideration, you'll end up with no roof and a nice set of secured "sticks".

Here's some interesting reading which may be applicable to your area: https://www.strongtie.com/solutions/seismic

N2EY likes this.