ad: InfoStat-1

Entire shack/shop/man cave lost to fire tonight

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Oct 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Actually, the fire dept response was SO FAST and SO HUGE they were able to save the structure!!! All four walls, rafters, and roof are perfectly reusable. Not a single rafter burned, nor any of the wall studs. (Obviously all the sheetrock is scorched etc.)

So it's just "rip it all down to studs, treat with smoke smell eliminator stuff, and start over with new drywall".

We were VERY VERY LUCKY. Had I not been in the garage mere seconds before it started (and seen it from the house 4 minutes later, calling 911) the outcome would have been VERY different. If we'd been at Safeway or in the basement rec room or out for a walk.... ALL would have been lost.

Fire started at 5:21 PM and by 6:00 PM was totally extinguished - limited to just the stuff in the room.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, N2EY, KA4DPO and 4 others like this.
  2. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

I sure wish I lived closer, Dave. I have leftover paint from when I did my daughter's bedroom. It a real nice shade of pink. :p:p:p

Seriously, it's all uphill from here. You'll find some nice boat anchors over time. Added to some new gear, you will be a happy "HAM".

W7UUU likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

shack in better times.jpg

garage all mucked out.jpg

N7ANN likes this.
  4. W7UUU

It's just stuff

That's what they say anyway :(

N7ANN and N3AB like this.
  5. W7UUU

This should be a good day. "We got all the crap cleaned out of the garage today". Yay.

But it still chokes me up ... "We got all the remains of my 50 year hobby cleared out of the garage today"

I have good days and bad days.

This is not a good day

But I'm trying to stay positive

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, N3AB and N2EY like this.
  6. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's bunk. After your and yours safety is assured - that is number one - the 'stuff' is part of our identities - part of who we are.

A whole bunch of folks standing by you two...

WD4IGX, N2EY, WA9SVD and 2 others like this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't worry, "they" never get it right.

8. W7UUU

I don't get that - are you saying something OTHER than stuff was destroyed?

I REALLY need to keep it at "Stuff"... do you know something I don't know?

I don't understand

Dave
    W7UUU

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

No, its just stuff - that's what they say. To you its not just stuff; its more than just stuff. Hence, "they" get it wrong. ;)

10. W7UUU

It's just stuff indeed. Sad. No question

But me and my wife N7ANN and our dog M0LLY all survived. Had the fire started 10 minutes later, any/all of us COULD have been caught in the "shack fire" since I had geared up for the Seahawks game

I just had the WRONG CHANNEL

Had I not gone in the house to ask Anne what channel, I, my dog, or ALL of us COULD HAVE BEEN TRAPPED

New shack: MULTIPLE paths of egress - not just one

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN and N2EY like this.