Entire shack/shop/man cave lost to fire tonight

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Oct 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

We are currently preparing a classic for next seasons 24 hrs of Lemons. As you can see, she took a beating last season, but it will be right as rain before February 2021.:)

Lemons 2.jpg Lemons one.jpg

W1TRY and NQ8J like this.
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

24 hours of "Lemons?:confused:" (Gonna need a lot of sugar, I suspect.:rolleyes:)

KA4DPO likes this.
  3. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes it's a thing-
    https://24hoursoflemons.com/
    I had an SC2 years ago, it looked somewhat better than that. Put 150K on it and sold it still running with the original clutch..
    I know, not a Ferrari. ;) I've driven a couple but haven't owned any. Much better for the wallet.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    KA4DPO likes this.
  4. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Lemons <==> Le Mans
    Suspect yours might be way funnier, however. GL!

KA4DPO, NQ8J and WA9SVD like this.
  5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And it is a lot more fun too. Registration is in but we don't know how many we will attend yet. I know a couple people who have done the entire circuit, that is a lot of traveling. Hope to get two races this year, one of the Eastern Seaboard races and probably Kentucky.:)

NQ8J and PU2OZT like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So ... back on topic :)

Today we got the entire garage mucked out - 100% of anything of claimable value or salvage value is out and all in bins in our barn (thank goodness for the barn!!!). We're now ready for the demolition crew to come in and start (unfortunately not until December 14th unless something breaks in their schedule).

I didn't think we'd ever get to this point! What a painful, toxic, smelly, and HARD WORK project this has been. It will be 4 weeks tomorrow.

But it's a good feeling. Rising from the ashes and all that ... it all starts soon

Dave
    W7UUU
    garage all mucked out.jpg

garage all mucked out 2.jpg

garage all mucked out 3.jpg

W7TCT and N0TZU like this.
  7. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave, that's just painful to look at. More so for you, I'm sure. :(

8. WB0ZRD

WB0ZRD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave are they going to level the garage and put all up new or is it partially salvageable?

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks - I have "good days and bad days" but try to keep my spirits up. Insurance is starting to kick in and that helps a LOT. It convinces us that there will be a rebuild and a rebound. It's sort of like a big "CTRL-ALT-DEL" kind of thing. Or maybe "FORMAT C: /s/y" is a closer analogy.

But we will be made whole - just gonna take time.

I'll feel 90% better once the demo is done and I don't have to look at it and smell it anymore.

No idea what the future holds for the shack - will I go back into boat anchors in a big way? Not likely. I will absolutely have radios - GOOD radios - since I just got the tower/beam in the air just 3 weeks before the fire!! But what "good radios" means will have to wait until after I see just "how whole" we are made on the "stuff side" (we're totally fine on the structure side - well in budget so good to go). The payoff on really old radios isn't great in these cases. But as we've just started seeing the first deposits as I'm filing stuff, I think we'll be OK.

I just want the smell and burned materials GONE. That will be a happy day for me.

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AB and N4FZ like this.
  10. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad that you are ok Dave. Damn, I am so very sorry to see this. Best wishes for a speedy comeback!