Entire shack/shop/man cave lost to fire tonight

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Oct 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Fully endorse this idea. I think CQ or ARRL would be thrilled to run it.

2. NK2U

NK2U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What's the name of the program?

de NK2U

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2020
  3. N1YR

N1YR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just a comment from an older guy who has to act the contortionist to get in and out of the car in places where parking lot owners put the stripes closer together to increase capacity.

If you have the shelves in the garage as pictured, and you back the car in as pictured, you won't be able to get the driver's side door open wide enough to get in or out. You will have to climb out the passenger side. Bad for a four door, worse from a two door with longer doors.

It's not so bad in a two-car garage, where car doors can take turns opening into the shared in between space. But planning a one-car garage, I would measure a car width from open door tip to open door tip, not fender to fender, before placing benches, cabinets or shelves.

Maybe shorten the shelves to match the passenger side, and use the extra wall space to hang rakes, hoses, coax, etc.?

KU4X and W7UUU like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's called "Sweet Home 3D" and is sold on Amazon for $14.99 as a download. It's actually "freeware" - if you go to their site, you can download the software but then you have to download a zillion libraries of objects. Paying the fifteen bux you get the whole bundle.

SUPER easy to figure out - I was drawing a precise floor plan within 10 minutes. I had 3 or 4 variants (using "Save As" - they can all be open at the same time to compare) all within the first hour last evening. It's REALLY fun to use as well!

You can get all fancy and put on window casings, texture the doors and walls and such - but I'm simply after floor plan and how to have my builder arrange walls and door placements.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Absolutely. Good points all - but we're just "getting an idea" at this stage. I moved the inner wall a little bit to give more door room. The car in the graphic is arbitrarily backed in :) But I did dimension it to match our Infiniti Q70 at 6.03' wide and 16.3' long. I wish the graphic allowed for opening the car doors but I think we'll be OK - we plan to "head in" park and most likely the passenger will bail before parking.

But all the shelving and such will be determined after it's built. This was just getting an idea. And of course, we'll be working the design in detail with the builder - he has a full-blown CAD system he'll be using.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Did it drift?

7. NK2U

NK2U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for the info, you did a great job.

de NK2U

8. W7UUU

Not terribly. It was the version with the solid state VFO. I easily worked all 50 states and could handle 20 minute rag chews all day long with no problem.

Most of the "Eico 753 hate" seems to come from folks who A) never owned one or B) owned the original tube-VFO version.

It was actually a VERY nice sounding radio and fun to use (not on CW however - pretty poor CW implementation)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, WD4IGX and KA4DPO like this.
  9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have to admit, I never owned one, but I don't hate them either. A friend of mine at Harris had one, I never operated it but the receiver sounded as good as my TR4CW.

By the way, you owned a Ferrari? Your the man.

10. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad news, Dave ...
    Tomorrow I will be unfairly unemployed in this goddamn country, but I am not upset and you don't be upset.
    The most important thing is friends. You have a lot of them here, and I have few, but they are real.
    Everything material can be restored and it is not so important.
    Make the new shack better than it was.
    And also let there be a spare shack.

K7JOE, WZ7U and N1VAU like this.