Entire shack/shop/man cave lost to fire tonight

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Oct 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

If it's REALLY a question of being able to safely exit a room, Halon or not, I'd (at least personally, although "management" might disagree) choose lives over equipment survival. (After all, isn't that what insurance is for, as unsavory an idea THAT is?) A CO2 extinguisher may well ALSO extinguish a fire, not be damaging to equipment and be less toxic then Halon, although not entirely innocent when it comes to environmental concerns.

P.S. I WROTE my post BEFORE Dave's post above, but got distracted, and didn't press "send" until later.:(

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

"Halon Gas Effect on Humans
    Overall, Halon is safe around humans and can be used in occupied spaces. Halon suppression systems became widely used because Halon is a low-toxicity, chemically stable compound that does not damage sensitive equipment, documents, and valuable assets. Halon fire suppression systems are still used in places like computer and communication rooms and in several military applications, including on ships, aircraft, and tanks. The FAA also continues to recommend Halon fire extinguishers for aircraft because of its effectiveness and ability to be used in closed spaces."

Yes it displaces oxygen but you'd have to have TONS of it deploying for a long period before you'd be overtaken.

A few hand-held extinguishers, even if all deployed at once, would never rise to the level of dangerous IMO

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
    WD4ELG likes this.
  3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I witnessed a number of these tests. The first one was at a Nuclear Power Plant control room in the early 70's. No one prepared the witnessing staff of the mayhem about to happen. As I recall an alarm goes off alerting the room is about to release Halon which is supposed to initiate a shutdown and exit of all folks in the room prior to Halon Release. I would not want to be in the room when it actually happened. We watched the mayhem on a remote camera.

W7UUU likes this.
  4. WD0BCT

CO2 fire suppression systems are not people friendly. And if not equipped with a scent additive to warn you....you will just black out as a result of oxygen deprivation.

I was aware of a terrible multiple fatality at a refinery involving interior tank cleaning via a crew using air masks. They somehow connected to a CO2 system and the entire crew died at the bottom of the tank shortly after employing their constant flow mask. When a crew showed up later to check on the cleaning crew each of them that entered the tank blacked out and as I recall some of them did not survive. This was before the days of OSHA required confined space testing before entering!

5. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

This is off-topic, but as a vessel inspector for the Coast Guard, wI was trained again and again to be very careful....these situations happen more often than people know about.

https://www.solutionsinsafety.com/dont-workers-become-statistic-confined-spaces-fatalities/
    • Approximately 60 percent of confined-space fatalities are would-be rescuers
    • Asphyxiation (from oxygen deficiency or toxic air) is the leading cause of death in confined spaces, followed by physical hazards (collapses, falling debris, falls, etc.).

WD0BCT likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

FINALLY got my box of W7P cards today!!! Yay!!

So all those who sent in SASEs your cards will be going out this week :)

Dave
    W7UUU

cards.jpg

G3EDM, WD5GWY, KP4SX and 3 others like this.
  7. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Where I once worked overseas we had massive Halon tanks in an operations center. These were approximately 7 feet tall and about 3 in diameter. The Halon was piped into an overhead release network. We did have one incident where one of the tank accidently leaked some Halon in the confined space and it was an immediate evac. Basically just run for your life! We were told that if they all went off we had maybe 10 seconds to get out or die.

8. WD0BCT

Did everyone wear running shoes?

9. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

I think there's a hint of humor in there. Hard to run in combat boots.

KT4PH likes this.
  10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s called “incentive”