Entire shack/shop/man cave lost to fire tonight

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Oct 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

and... maybe some pictures of BIG Firetrucks !!

You could've had a FirePlug/Hydrant installed in the floor while you were rebuilding... AND a Overhead Sprinkler System ! ;):p

KP4SX likes this.
  2. N9YB

N9YB QRZ Administrator QRZ Page

Frankenstein may be afraid of fire - I don't think we know. Frankenstein's Monster most definitely is.

K4NWD likes this.
  3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

No, no, no. Frankenstein’s creation was afraid of fire. Not Dr. Frankenstein himself.

Just don’t offer The Creature an after-dinner cigar. Or an espresso. You’ll be fine. Especially if you are puttin’ on the Ritz.

WD4ELG and W7UUU like this.
  4. KI5OMM

KI5OMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not the fireplace on the screen that worries me. It's the reflection of flames in the windows that looks like the outside woods are burning. That would give me a creepy chill to see that. LOL

5. WA6SW

WA6SW Ham Member QRZ Page

Halon

W1TRY and W5BIB like this.
  6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe. But "Halon," like other gasses, can cause asphyxiation (due to Oxygen deprivation) and is harmful to the atmosphere. It also has to be used (to be truly effective) for a long period of time, or fire re-ignition is a distinct possibility.

8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But much better for the electronic hardware in the room! If properly designed it was supposed to give people in the room enough time to exit safely while shutting equipment down with power kill switches at exit doors. I believe they have developed a Halon gas replacement a little more friendly to the atmosphere like they have for Freon. It can't be all that friendly if is meant to extinguish fires. The Freon replacement is toxic but "atmosphere friendly" to the ozone layer.

9. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked in computer rooms with Halon and also Tempest vaults (no Halon). Not sure which made me more nervous.

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

In my days as a fire alarm tech in the 1980s and 90s, I dreaded doing fire alarm inspections in computer rooms with Halon discharge systems. We had to lift the raised floor tiles and inspect/test the smoke detectors under the floor as well as those in the room, all the while the big mainframe-style computers were running. It was nerve-racking as hell disabling the Halon system so it wouldn't discharge during the testing, then reengage it when done - hoping like crazy that you didn't screw up and accidentally trigger a discharge which would unleash the fury of the Halon, and cost $20,000 in lost Halon plus ceiling tile damage. It was scary but I did it all the time.

But it was fun to be on site when a new Halon system was installed - they had to be discharged a single time as proof they worked for the Fire Marshal and it was AMAZING to watch! Massive windstorm of halon gas would often rip ceiling tiles apart during the test. It was a sight to see.

Later, once Halon started getting a bad rap in the science world, they would have to tent the space off and recover most of the Halon to prevent escape into the atmosphere. But we still got to watch the initial test and the results were just as wild.

They still use Halon systems - although it's now some sort of mix that's less harmful should it escape, and the rooms are fitted with containment systems to recover the bulk of the gas. Halotron is one of the big names in the gas used today.

I do not have Halon (Halotron) extinguishers in my shack. Just standard ABC (Kidde brand, commercial duty). But I do plan to add one canister of "safe for electronics" based on that gas or one of the similar rival brands. Not cheap but it makes good sense - the powder residue of a standard ABC extinguisher is a horrid mess unto itself and would really destroy an expensive radio if it were hit with it.

Dave
    W7UUU