Entire shack/shop/man cave lost to fire tonight

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Oct 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've not kept up except to look at this last page. Building back better! Good job, Dave.

W7UUU and N2EY like this.
  2. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, Dave! I search for "kidde" to find out if anyone else has their smoke detector beeping when they transmit, and two hours later I've finished reading one of the most inspiring threads on the forum. So sorry about the loss of nice equipment but it's great to see how you've rebuilt the place better than before.

KT4PH, N2EY and W7UUU like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Got my patch panels built today - 21 port SO-239 panel for antennas / radio / amp / tuner ports, with 4 switches, and 16 BNC ports of "rig selection" in my main operating position

I'm simultaneously working on getting all the antenna wiring done outside, bringing it all together "in the middle where it will all meet"

I had a patch system not terribly different than this before the fire - but now it's far more functional, expandable, and just plain better built.

Dave
    W7UUU

patch4.jpg Patch3.jpg patch2.jpg patch1.jpg

W9JEF, N6PAT, KA0HCP and 16 others like this.
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

AWWW< using one of those "new-fangled things" like a drill press? Back in "ye olde daze," we had to do that :eek:BY HAND!:p

upload_2021-7-31_5-5-54.jpeg

Seriously, it looks great:cool:; let's see AFTER it gets hooked up!:)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    VK6APZ and W7UUU like this.
  5. N8RKD

N8RKD Ham Member QRZ Page

The drill press explains why you wanted to get the other side of your shop up and running. Well done!

W7UUU likes this.
  6. G3EDM

G3EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice. I'm jealous. Before leaving the States, I gave my floor-standing drill press to my brother-in-law. Could not bring it here (wrong voltage). I'm ready to buy one here in the UK but have nowhere to put it.

Actually spent today drilling quite a few holes in wood, and finding that with a hand-held power drill it is very difficult to get a true perpendicular hole. Ended up refilling some of the holes and drilling them again. Some hand-held power drills have a spirit level built-in but the Bosch I am using does not.

My "patch panel" is a single, three-position coaxial switch but when you have only one transmitter, two receivers and one antenna, that is easily enough!

Great to see your station coming together, almost in real time.

73 de Martin, G3EDM

N2EY likes this.
  7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have one of those handed down from grandfather to dad to me. I do find it useful when the De Walt drill battery goes dead out in the woods.

PU2OZT and WA9SVD like this.
  8. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

WARNING: Harbor Freight content coming. If this unnerves you, immediately [CLICK HERE TO ESCAPE] :D:D

Time now to do a little work on the "car side" - Took the day off work and picked up my Harbor Freight tool chests that I ordered on July 2... took a while to get here but I wasn't really ready until today anyway.

BEASTS to unload from the truck but wife and I did it without assistance and using lots of leverage. They came out GREAT! Fully assembled except the wheels - and boxed in really smart boxes that made unpacking them super easy.

Really high quality pieces in every way and I couldn't be happier. We wanted blue but that was a custom color with delivery estimated to be mid to late November :eek: so we ordered the White that they had in stock in an East Coast warehouse - just had to wait for truck cycles to work in our favor for delivery.

[Note the mismatched appliances - that's the way things are these days. If we wanted them in any reasonable time, and wanted them in white, we had to take what we could get - same brand, different styling but it's the garage so who cares?]

Dave
    W7UUU

Car3.jpg Car4.jpg

K1LKP, KA2CZU, KD2UHF and 1 other person like this.
  10. W7UUU

And the car fits GREAT!!! The Infiniti Q70 is a pretty big car but when I laid out the shack wall (wall to the right), I actually drove the car into the vacant space to measure. So no surprise it fits but it's still nice to know it's going to work out well.

My first time ever parking a car in a single car garage - and the only other time I ever parked in a garage (double) it was for an exotic car. Same with my wife - we've just always been "driveway parking" folks :)

Dave
    W7UUU

car2.png

car1.png

W9JEF, K1LKP, N7VGO and 4 others like this.