Entire shack/shop/man cave lost to fire tonight

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Oct 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Moved some things in and around today - getting the Boatanchor Corner set up.... 75A-4 (with a spot to its left for a "Novice era transmitter" - I sized it for a DX-60, DX-40, you name it - plenty of room. But very likely it will first populate with an Ameco AC-1

On top is an HR-1680 receiver and HX-1681 transmitter - both were spared from the fire but been around here a LONG time awaiting time in the shack.

Top left is another Heathkit - SB-303 and SB-600 - purpose as yet not defined. Just "looking nice" for the time being.

To the left of the 75A-4 is the Drake B-Line, and below that I moved the HW-8 and HW-9

For now, all that's powered is the Collins but boy does it sound lovely :)

More as it develops.... I have a LOT of antenna and patch bay work ahead of me to make it easy to switch rigs in and out as I did so easily before.

Dave
    W7UUU

boatanchors.jpg

PU2OZT, KD8QBW, M0IND and 15 others like this.
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

More than I can ever dream about. But it looks GOOD!

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. KR2C

KR2C Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

KI4BNH and KO4ESA like this.
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's not go there.:rolleyes:

W7UUU and KO4ESA like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Been a while since any updates - alas, as the world is getting back to "the old ways" I've been on the road for work a LOT and just not around to get things done.

But I did take some time the last few days to get the carport up to snuff with new shelving, mounting of the new drill press and vice, etc. This used to be a totally open carport but is now essentially a garage bay - rollup door on the East side, sliding "barn door on rails" on the West side, but with gravel floor. It has lots of lighting, AC outlets, and will be my "rough work" shop - stuff that makes a mess like drill press work, filing, sanding, even light painting even in the winter.

The last photo is just for comparison of the space right after the fire....

I still have some tidying up work to do but it's a LONG ways towards done and hoping to really start "moving in" as far as parts and pieces and such.

Dave
    W7UUU

carport2.jpg

carport1.jpg

carport_fire.jpg

K1OIK, N0VFJ, PU2OZT and 6 others like this.
  6. M0IND

M0IND Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking good!

PU2OZT and KO4ESA like this.
  7. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess he likes (or has bought from) DXEngineering!

KO4ESA likes this.
  8. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DXEngineering does like to give out the stickers, they will also throw in a free hat if you order enough (or at least used to, now they sell the hats).

KO4ESA and KT4PH like this.
  9. W7UUU

Now that's one fortunate Novice ;):D

Built up the replica AC-1 years ago (from that Russian seller on eBay) - fortunately it wasn't in the fire.

Still need to get the TR switching happening.... also have to go through my crystal collection - those WERE in the fire and don't look great right now....

Quite the pairing, no?!

Should be fun this winter

Dave
    W7UUU

Novice AC-1 2.jpg

KG4RRH, KA2CZU, KD2UHD and 7 others like this.
  10. W7UUU

Found a little homage to my years at Radio Shack 1979 (#3322) to 1981 (#4063).... all original too! Looks kinda cool just sitting in the window like that...

Dave
    W7UUU

radio shack sign.jpg

K8XG, KJ7WRZ, KT4PH and 8 others like this.