Entering the "Bug world"

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W4WVW, Jun 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never heard of a "double lever Bug" !!!!!!!!! :eek:
    I got my first bug at age 17, Back in 1962. Got into electronic keyers for a long time but went back to using the bug in 2006 when I joined SKCC !

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thats the goal to shoot for. I try my best to sould like computer code with the bug, never happens but I keep trying. 73 Rich

KD7ICW likes this.
  3. W4WVW

W4WVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Have a look! http://www.kn4yb.com/inlinedual.html

4. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

There are at least two types of double lever bugs. A first type works like a regular bug with semi-auto
    dits and manual dahs and two separate actuating levers. This type (I have one made by GHD) allows
    one to start lever movement sooner in the opposite direction so it may make the highest bug speeds
    easier. It doesn't make any big difference for me as I usually send no faster than about 25 wpm.

A second type (models also made by GHD one of which can be seen currently on the Morse Express
    website) produces both semi-auto dits and dahs. There are separate levers and pendulums for each
    character element.

Marshall Emm the proprietor of Morse Express passed away recently. Sadly his family does not
    intend to continue his business. The website, however, has remained on line recently.

W9RAC likes this.
  5. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Double lever bugs were a popular Vibroplex model from 1907-1926. In fact, they were popular enough that illegal knock-offs were made by the ATOZ company in violation of the Martin (Vibroplex) patents.

See photos of a typical double lever bug c. 1910, and an advertisement for one.

Double Lever Ad.jpg

Double Lever .JPG

WA1GXC and W4WVW like this.