Entering IOTA Reference

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by GM4NSZ, Jul 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. GM4NSZ

GM4NSZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am part way through the annual RSGB IOTA Contest. Can you please explain why it is so difficult to enter an IOTA reference into the logbook? I cannot, seemingly, enter it by IOTA Reference Number nor can I enter it by island name. I can only enter it by scrolling through the COMPLETE LIST of IOTA Island Groups until I get to the one I want. Surely this can be made more user friendly?

If I work a station whose normal location is on a recognised island it will, hopefully, be in that station's data already. However, for DX-peditions or, as in this case, a contest, it is extremely time consuming to enter the details - or am I missing something? Thanks.

2. KJ7ZEI

KJ7ZEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see the RSGB IOTA listed in the contest drop down menu either. I wasn't really participating in the contest and only made a couple of QSO's but would like to log them as such.

EDIT: Found IOTA in the list. But no island listing.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just looked at my log and it has quite a few IOTA entries outside the contest that I didn't enter. I suspect the log auto-fills that from the other fella's Profile.
    So enter your contacts and see what happens. Make sure the 'Islands On The Air' field is activated in your Settings.
    If the other fella has not changed his number for a DXpedition I guess you'll have to contact him or change it manually in the Receiver Info tab.

4. GM4NSZ

"I just looked at my log and it has quite a few IOTA entries outside the contest that I didn't enter. I suspect the log auto-fills that from the other fella's Profile."

It will fill it in for home stations who have entered their details correctly into QRZ. However, for expeditions or, as in this case, contests, I cannot see any way of entering the IOTA information other than scrolling down the whole list. I cannot type in the IOTA Ref nor the name of the Island Group

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Then you have to do it manually on the Receiver Info tab.

6. GM4NSZ

Yep, I know! Have you tried to scroll down the list to find the island group? As I found, if worked on CW, particularly, then the station may well only give the IOTA Reference Number. The QRZ list is in alphabetical order and not in IOTA Ref order. That means that you have to go to the IOTA Website, enter the IOTA Ref, note the island group name and then scroll down the QRZ list to find that group. Not hugely user friendly:-(