End fed wire from attic to outdoors?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KO4OCF, Jun 11, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-gcopper
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
  1. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

^ Exactly. That kid with the walkie-talkie beat me to it again. :D

Get a surge protector mounted on your ground rod, first---then work out how to install your antenna and coax entry point (hopefully very close to that ADU).

Jeff

Often a day late and a dollar short

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd approach the HOA architectural committee (or whoever makes such decisions) to ask permission to install a flagpole, which will fly the flag, and also be a very good vertical antenna (with buried radials so nobody would see those, and the coax back to the house can also be buried).

If that is allowed, it solves every problem.:)

My old buddy Stu WA6NCN did exactly that at his HOA home in Thousand Oaks years ago, and I installed the flagpole for him, mixed the concrete on-site, buried the radials and the coax, and installed a remote auto-tuner at the base of the flagpole. It was allowed, and he did fly the American flag from it.

Not quite a beam on a tower, but it worked quite well and nobody seemed to care in his very "uppity" HOA.

AK5B likes this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You seem to be missing the point on grounding, or perhaps there some constraint you are trying to work around that you haven’t disclosed here?

It is unsafe and therefore against building codes, to bring the antenna feed line into the house without first grounding it properly. Please go back and read what I and others have written here, and read the ARRL Grounding and Bonding book.

AK5B likes this.
  4. G0KDT

G0KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the original op is like me and looked at the earthing sticky post and glazed over.

Added to that there are other considerations if trying to earth coax and then bonding earths.

I have read many posts on these antennas and as yet none have diagramatically shown the optimum configuration. Shed loads of wire models and diagrams, plots etc. from well meaning folk who assume the reader has the same background understanding they 'May' have.

5. N0TZU

The first part of that sticky has some very well illustrated information that is easy to find. I’ll summarize it here:

Grounding and Bonding for the Radio Amateur by Ward Silver, N0AX https://www.arrl.org/shop/Grounding-and-Bonding-for-the-Radio-Amateur/ Also available at Amazon.

Another very good guide is by William Reeve at http://www.reeve.com/Documents/Articles Papers/Reeve_AntennaSystemGroundingRequirements.pdf

Charles (Tom) Rauch, W8JI has a number of informative and well illustrated webpages on station grounding (the rest of his site is also excellent). http://www.w8ji.com/station_ground.htm

Here are a number of articles from QST on grounding, especially the three part series by Ron Block, KB2UYT that focuses on the lightning protection aspect: http://www.arrl.org/lightning-protection

6. G0KDT

At risk of appearing impolite, which is not my intention, I have to say that, isn't repeating something over but expecting a different outcome one of the definitions of insanity?

Jokes aside, at least here I don't live in area beset with electrical storms. With limited space I don't have massive towers or antenna that are higher than the tv antenna (which would only be earthed via the coax and tv).

Add to that that tv these days is so dire a direct strike on that maybe more entertaining if a bit of mess.

7. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I tend to agree that many hams would be aided by a simpler information resource.

I've been trying to think of a simplification or generalization that might help.

So far the best I've got is this:

The most difficult and expensive part of an HF antenna is making it a permanent installation. That's what exposes the antenna to lightning risk and requires code compliance.

If the antenna is only outdoors when you are actually on the air you can radically simplify things.

AK5B likes this.
  8. N0TZU

Those links above are well illustrated, well explained, and not very technical. And in the sticky there are links that go beyond for those interested. So, ahem, at the risk of sounding impolite:

It requires a minimal amount of diligence to read and apply the knowledge. If that’s beyond someone’s capability, or simply too much bother, then they can hire the work to be done by an electrician.

AK5B likes this.
  9. G0KDT

Having read a number of articals and the technicalities of actually getting proper earthing for household wiring then I am not convinced that much really complies with the supposedly required test criteria. Electricians were in my place 2 years ago changing distribution board and a load more. NOT Once did I see them mega test the earthing. To most as long as the board trips on pressing the test button that's it.

Then when you read these articals, having more than 1 earthing point can cause other issues hence the 'bonding'.

Dropping the antenna is as reasonable a route to take. The coax may still enter to building but if not connected it shouldn't be a path to earth either.

10. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just to mention it, my previous references to "code" relate to US national electric code. While electricity works the same way everywhere, the actual regulations will be different when crossing borders.

@G0KDT I can't tell you whether to expect an easier or more difficult installation in England.

AK5B likes this.