ad: Radclub22-1

End Fed Wire - 40m high swr suggestions

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC2IEB, Sep 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

An end-fed antenna is always a compromise antenna. A dipole is not a compromise antenna. I have made contacts all over the world with dipole antennas.

N1OOQ likes this.
  2. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure plenty of people have made contacts all over the world with end fed wire antennas.

For myself, if I replaced the endfed with a dipole the feedline would be very close to and parallel with one leg of the dipole. And, unlike the endfed, the dipole would probably not be matchable on every HF band. Also, the dipole, to the limited extent that it is directional, would be oriented in the wrong direction. These are the constraints of my station location that would make the dipole a compromised antenna.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    K3EY likes this.
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll try to remember that when I'm working Europe on 40M CW ... with 2 watts output. ;)

AJ6KZ, K3EY and KC2IEB like this.
  4. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just think how much better it'd be if you had a 200' tower and a massive antenna!

5. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Just think how much better it'd be if the SSN would hit 285 again. We could ditch the endfeds and use coat hangers. A 285 SSN is more likely than a 200 ft tower for me.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    AJ6KZ and W4IOA like this.
  6. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too. Who'd climb my tower no matter how high?
    These days, a vertical ground mounted is fine and will light it up in the next 5 years.
    Plus, having been involved in helping take down towers from a super station, all I saw was thousands spent to sell for scrap later. I'm not sure it's worth it no matter how many confirmations received or awards.

7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Uh, a quarter wave vertical antenna is an end fed antenna, worked against ground. A sloping or horizontal end fed antenna is also worked against ground. The only reason it would be a compromise is if you don't correctly implement it otherwise, it should be as efficient as a dipole.

K3EY likes this.
  8. AJ6LB

AJ6LB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

@KC2IEB I just want to take a quick diversion from the “my wire works better than your wire” bickering and just offer some encouragement to keep trying and experimenting. I have exactly the same antenna from Palomar and I have had extremely good luck with it with my IC-7100 and MFJ-949 tuner. I have it strung as an inverted L, with the horizontal section only 20 feet above the ground, directly over my house. For radials I put up two 33 foot wires heading in opposite directions stapled to my property fence up about 2 feet from the ground. Works great. Understand more height = more better, but even with a compromised situation you can make contacts.

9. KC2IEB

KC2IEB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Again thanks all! I'm trying to crawl before I run, and end fed wire seems like a very basic place to learn how to balance all the different aspects of RF that seem to conspire against us.

Here's what I'm dealing with. The red line is the current location and orientation of the antenna. The feedpoint is at the southern end. I have something like 73' from the top of the northern most tree to the middle southern tree, which is the tallest. They're pointy lookin' pine trees, but very tall and mature.

What do ya think I can fit here, when I graduate past the end fed thrown into the tree?

My current goal is to really decrease noise (after following the typical steps of quieting noise IN the house). Other than a choke on the feedline near the antenna, is the only thing for decreasing noise to get it higher given I'm interested in wire antennas for the time being?

[​IMG]

10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not too sure what you can fit in there, but I do understand the noise issue. Because of the high impedance seen at the end of the wire it will be more prone to noise pickup. One thing that will improve your noise situation is to improve the ground system. That is the single best thing you can do to mitigate a number of those conspiratorial aspects of RF. We have already been over the rest so I won't beat a dead horse here. If you insist on using fixed ferrite transformers then your only option is to adjust the wire length.

One last tidbit of advice is, if changing the length of the coaxial cable causes significant changes in where the antenna resonates, then it is likely that you will have RF feedback issues from common mode current. That can happen even if you are using a ferrite choke (1:1) Balun.