End fed long wire on fence top. Looking for opinions

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KG9LD, Mar 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KG9LD

KG9LD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all
    I'm looking for experience and/or ideas...
    I need to put up an antenna and (for now) looking at using the top on a 100 foot wooden fence. It's the best I can do for now. I'm looking at buying a pre-made antenna and running around 60' of coax to the shack.
    What I'm looking for are ideas on how I can /should make this work effieciently and maybe a suggestion for a company/model number. I need to keep this antenna under 100'. Should I use insulated standoffs? Can I just lay it on top of the fence, is there a specific antenna you like, etc...
    Any help and opinions are appreciated. BTW, I will be running 100 watts.

73's

2. KG9LD

Oh... I'm looking at running either 80-10 or preferably 80-6 meters

3. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Horizontal wire antennas work best when placed at least 1/4wavelength above earth, that is a height of 35 ft for a 66ft long wire that is 0.5 wavelength long on the 40m band. When installed that way, the horizontal wire radiates about 70% of the power applied to it, while about 30% of the power is lost in the earth near the antenna.

When placed as low as you propose (0.16wl), the antenna couples most of the power applied into the earth below it; and about 85% of the power applied to it is lost, and less than 15% gets radiated.

There is a double whammy with a low mounted antenna, because even the remaining 15% gets radiated almost straight up rather than at lower elevation angles which are more useful for propagation on the HF bands.

Sorry, but you cannot fool Mother....

K0UO likes this.
  4. KG9LD

Right...
    I think it's the best I can do right now.

5. K6GBW

K6GBW Ham Member QRZ Page

With the understanding that an antenna like that is very limiting there are several easy to use antennas on the market. If you use a tuner you can make one with a 9:1 transformer and some hardware store wire. An easier ready made version is produced by Chameleon as the EMCOMM II. It uses a 5:1 transformer and a 60' wire. I have one and it tunes most of the bands with an internal tuner. There are similar items from Bushcomm, MyAntennas and others but with the length you want the EMCOMM II is probably your best bet.

KG9LD likes this.
  6. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes the best you can do is all you can do. I've heard of people getting on the air that way. Is it ideal? No, but it's better than nothing. To keep costs low, maybe try an LDG 9:1 unun, their 1:1 choke, and as much non-resonate wire as you can put out. Total cost, assuming your radio can tune it, will be under $100.

What about a vertical antenna?

Chris

KG9LD likes this.
  7. KG9LD

I have looked at that antenna and it does match my needs. My problem is running it at 6' above ground between two houses...

8. KG9LD

No way to make that happen right now.

9. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean the vertical?

Chris

10. K3PDH

K3PDH Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at your QTH, I'd probably try to lay that end fed across the top of the roof instead of the fence. Or use your gutters somehow.

AK5B and KG9LD like this.