End Fed directly on my Roof

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by 4Z5TL, Nov 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. 4Z5TL

4Z5TL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm thinking about wrapping a wire around the perimeter of my roof.

Its HOA, so the wire needs to lay directly on the shingles.

Transceiver can be in the attic, within 5' of the feed point. (remote panel Y857D)

Walking the perimeter of the house measures aprox 150-170' - so roof is aprox the same

Pls share your thoughts.

David

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In a pinch just about anything can get you on the air but personally I wouldn't lay an antenna directly on a shingled roof. I'd expect that proximity to the roof to substantially detune the antenna. Laying the antenna directly on the roof isn't likely to give you the best on the air performance either with it likely picking up a lot of household electronic noise. if you can get that antenna up even a foot or two above the roof I'd expect it to tune better (better match for your rig) and to perform better over the air.

But folks have made plenty of QSOs on things like window screen and bed spring antennas so it's likely that your stealthy roof top antenna will at least get you on the air if you can tune into it. After all some hams have had success with using metal gutters as antennas running around their roofs so anything is possible.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  3. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

David, what bands are your priorities?
    How high is your roof?
    What is the house construction?

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you have a good tuner?

5. KF0V

KF0V Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried exactly that with a 150’ wire covering ~3.5 sides of my house off an MFJ-934. Also tried with and without a couple counterpoise wires. Mostly what I got was a huge amount of noise. Don’t think I made a single contact even with FT8. No formal HOA here but a bunch of wanna-be neighbors who’ve made my life unpleasant.

Currently have a 25-ish foot wire up a pine tree, a 9:1 Unun and 7x25’ radials with an LDG remote tuner. Its nearly invisible, only because I’m too lazy to hide the unun and tuner better and I got solid SSB contacts out of NY with 30w and WSPR reports along the greyline from Aus and JP.

6. 4Z5TL

At its apex about 25-30' - a hip roof
    Wood frame - clay shingles.

7. 4Z5TL

LDG YT-100

8. 4Z5TL

Interesting - Is your wire vertical? Or does the radiating element slope?

9. 4Z5TL

Bands - 20,40

10. 4Z5TL

Bands - 20, 40