Emergency use of HT while Backpacking

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N6SRT, Jun 4, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N6SRT

N6SRT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey everyone,
    My name is Thomas (N6SRT), I have a quick question concerning emergency uses of a HT while backpacking. This summer, I will be backpacking with a group of about 10 people for two weeks in Sequoia National Forest CA. I want to bring my Ft-60r for emergency purposes in case someone gets in trouble. In the unlikely event that something does happen, what is the best way to contact help?

Originally I was thinking I would be able to contact a ranger, but all I was able to find online was this:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=4301

All the frequencies that are listed here are above the legal transmitting frequencies alocated for the 2 meter band.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

-Thomas

2. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I don't know the answer, but suggest you contact the NP. Can't be an unusual situation.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

3. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think you could ever go wrong with 146.52 or 446.00 the national simplex calling channels. At least in this neck of the woods [WWA] they are quite well monitored. If you know of a few repeaters in the general area, you might want to plug those in as well.

Of course if you have a real life/limb emergency you can transmit anywhere in any band.

KG7ZEV likes this.
  4. N6SRT

Simplex and near by repeaters it is then because the Ft-60r can only monitors those channels not transmit on them.
    Thanks!

5. KV3D

KV3D Ham Member QRZ Page

You can transmit wherever you want in a true emergency. Get a cheap Baofeng and put in those ranger frequencies.

KE4HTS likes this.
  6. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Yuppers. Another reason Baofengs are better in most ways then Japanese HTs.

KE4HTS likes this.
  7. W9CMG

W9CMG Guest

Research any repeaters that may cover your area.

The ARRL promotes a Wilderness Protocol. Stations are supposed to listen for five minutes for distress calls starting at 7am and every three hours after at the top of the hour. A station wanting help is to signify by a Long Tone Zero (LTZ) to begin a QSO. This doesn't seem very practical.

If your truly in wilderness, perhaps a Spot Messenger GPS would be handy and not too expensive. findmespot.com/en/

But prepare well, use your head and don't do anything you haven't prepared for. Then, you won't need assistance.

Have fun

KG7ZEV likes this.
  8. N6SRT

Great suggestions! I'll check it out.

9. N4OAH

N4OAH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to have to second the "get a Baofeng" motion. The main reason is that you're hiking, stuff happens. You'd hate to ruin a expensive Yaesu HT dropping it down a mountain, not quite as painful when it is a $30 radio vs a 300 dollar radio.

Secondly, you can program in some ham simplex and repeater frequencies, then add the ranger's frequency. No matter how many hams would love to help, most of us are not going to be up at 2 am monitoring .52 if something does happen.

On an unrelated note, I like your callsign. Are you part of an SRT?

KE4HTS likes this.
  10. KV3D

KV3D Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I don't think the Japanese ones offer much more in terms of features. Quality is better, but at $30, these Chinese ones are highly disposable and so you don't have to be afraid of what happens to them, making them great for purposes where they might be at risk. I used a UV-5R up until I got a Kenwood TH-D72A. Its GPS waypoint features were awesome on my recent trip to Virginia. I always knew how to get back to the car.