ad: w5yi

Emergency Preparedness for the Poor

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KI6GIG, Sep 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, my.

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sheesh. In the context of helping poor people survive a disaster, it doesn’t matter how or why they are poor. That’s an entirely different topic and one best discussed in the political forum.

W7UUU and N2EY like this.
  3. AL4Y

AL4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you should expand your target audience to include the cheap.

KL1T likes this.
  4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I volunteer at a food bank and I see the chronically poor for generations driving nicer and newer cars than I do and loading up on free food, often 2-3 adults per vehicle plus kids. Each adult gets a load. Plus about $1000 in fuel assistance plus 25% or more off the electric bill.

Housing is subsidized, the kids get free food at school.

What am I missing here?

5. HB9FUH

HB9FUH Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting document, with much good advice. Your characterisation of "survival" being the first four levels of Maslow's hierarchy caught me off-guard. I'd have said the first two were the survival levels, self-esteem and belonging kicking in only after the immediate crisis has passed (although I acknowledge that it is much more interconnected than Maslow suggests).

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Survival of the fittest has worked for thousands of years among all living things, why try to change it without projecting the results out for several generations.
    There are the genuine needy across the middle class, at least in the USA, where the efforts would produce better and long lasting results. The middle class, in the USA, gets the short end of the stick from all agencies plus the misguided doo gooders.

Carl

7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Please all - be careful to keep this about amateur radio and stay out of the politics side of things that a thread like this could easily lead to and has already hinted at doing :)

Dave
    W7UUU