EME decode - my first, but I don't know what it means

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N9SD, Jul 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Contact a superstation for e.m.e. (like Dave, W5UN) and make a sked.

If he can't hear you, probably nobody will (assuming the right moon position for the contact). That can also confirm your RX setup is working properly.

If you give him your coordinates (QTH) he can tell you when the moon is right for a sked.

2. N9SD

N9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the tips. I just looked up W5UN on QRZ and he says he is inactive. Who are some of the other big EME stations?

3. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

It is just a false decode. This is just noise decoded by the software. It is more likely to happen if you have the deep search box checked.

If you want to see where people are operating check these sites.

https://www.livecq.eu/default.asp

http://www.on4kst.com/chat/start.php

For the ON4KST chat site you need to set up username/password. Go to the EME page after logging in.

PY2RAF and KA0HCP like this.
  4. N9SD

N9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks - right now I’m just trying to figure out if I am receiving any reflections at all, even if corrupted. These two were curious since they were about two minutes apart - but then the delay is too long for it to be a moon reflection.

Ok, I guess I’m still listening for my first signal!!!

5. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it could be a bad decode on a real signal as well as just noise.
    Make sure your clock is in sync.

One way to tell if it looks like a real JT65 signal is if you see the train track like traces on the WSJT waterfall (Sync tone on the left and the data tones to right) and they are on for the even or odd minute and repeat after a minute gap, or maybe you will see multiple signals where there might be a difference in frequency on the even or odd minutes.

If the lines are continuous without one minute gaps then they probably are just interference signals being picked up by your station.

Keep trying, I am sure that with a bit more effort you will successfully decode some signals off of the moon.

Also I forgot this probably most important site which has frequencies/sked where EME guys are currently operating:

https://www.chris.org/cgi-bin/jt65emeA

Listening on frequencies where people are actually operating will give you much better chances of success.
    Listening on the frequencies where the big guns are operating will be even more successful.
    On this last site, stations often have data about the size of their antenna and transmit power.
    So if you see something like this appended after their callsign on the site: /4X13/1KW you will know they have 4 by 13 element array and 1KW. So if you see something like this it is a station you probably can hear under good conditions. If they have 8 antennas or more maybe even more likely.

KA0HCP likes this.
  6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From my basic observation of EME stations, with a minimal station you [may find it much more difficult] to find signals from merely 'tuning around".

Use the scheduler apps like LiveCQ to find where stations are actually operating. You can use their chat feature to talk with ops in real time over internet for coordination, tips and encouragement.

Edited.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021