ad: ProAudio-1

EME decode - my first, but I don't know what it means

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N9SD, Jul 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. N9SD

N9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

Any EME folks, I am trying to receive EME signals for the first time, and I got the following decodes on JT65b on 144.125Mhz. None of the apparently decoded calls are valid on qrz.com. I'm trying to figure out what they mean.

1916 -28 4.9 1551 ##
    1916 -20 4.9 1552 ## PF9PUP 71NTF NP71 OOO f
    ------------------------------------- 2m
    1917 -29 0.5 1551 ##
    ------------------------------------- 2m
    1918 -30 4.2 1549 ##
    1918 -21 4.2 1550 ## O39TAH UC5VXR GL59 OOO

I'm in EN52. At 1918, the moon was 15 degrees above the horizon from my location.

Given the timing I have to believe it's an actual EME decode, but corrupted somehow.

And thoughts or observations?

2. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that means "For sale: One Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator. PayPal only, no refunds due to parts swappers."

JK, here is hoping someone responds, I am both fascinated and intimidated by EME and hope you get an answer...

Attached Files:

WA7F likes this.
  3. N9SD

N9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I hear you on that! I read an article recently on minimal-equipment EME, so I'm giving it a whirl. 11 element yagi on a heavy duty camera tripod in the front yard. So far I'm just trying to receive ANYTHING to see if I can establish a path. If I can't hear 'em, I can't work 'em.

The decodes I posted are the closest thing I've come to some kind of actual EME received data, yet the callsigns are wrong - and one grid square is mid-Atlantic, only water. So not likely a legit decode.

But the timing of the two apparent decodes exactly 2 minutes apart has me thinking it may be real, but corrupted in some way. Like maybe I'm using a wrong setting in WSJT-x or something.

4. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I ran your decode through my secret decoder to reveal....

Drink More Ovaltine.

K2WH, WI3U and K7JEM like this.
  5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have a preamp and good coax?

What receiver are you using?

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Decoding errors.

My Magic 8-Ball says, "Situation Hazy, Try Again.":p

I'm glad my e.m.e. days were back when it was 99.9% CW and if I couldn't hear it with my ears, it wasn't there.:)

7. N9SD

N9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks - is it likely that it was actually decoding something from an EME path? It's hard to imagine this coming from random static.

Right now I'm just trying to ascertain if I can receive an EME signal with the very simple setup I have so I can figure out how and if I want to try the next step. If this was likely a valid signal (which I think it was because of the timing: 1 minute sending, 1 minute off, one minute sending), that gives me some confidence I could pull this off.

8. N9SD

N9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahhhh....I thought there was something about Ovaltine in there!!!

9. N9SD

N9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

Good coax, yes, and only about 20'. Only preamp is in the receiver, which is an IC7100. Antenna is 11el yagi.

10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, great. That's how I started, too, but on 70cm instead of 2m. You should be able to decode the biggest dozen stations.

Make sure your computer's clock is set to within a second of atomic time. I get better RX from EU and eastern US on horizontal polarization. Check the loggers to see who is active. Weekends are best. And, don't give up! This is the Mount Everest of ham radio, if it were easy ....

Maybe try listening for CW as well as JT65 and Q65.