Email looks legit....

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by NZ4X, Feb 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This ad was posted this morning and was quickly flagged by one of the members. This is an example of what happens when a profile has been compromised. The scammer has gained access to the page by sending a phony link to the targeted ham telling him he needs to sign in to his QRZ account. Not knowing the link is a fraud attempt the ham signs in. At this point the scammer has all your credentials and in essence becomes you. He quickly changes or removes (as in this case) the email address shown on the profile page so it does not show up or it matches his posted item he is selling in the swap meet. At first glance the ad looks legit even after doing a search of the call sign of previous items listed or sold. If you look closely however you will see the scammer added a letter to the call sign which in reality is the scammers email address.

Attached Files:

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

EXACTLY the reason QRZ adopted the two-step verification. I recommend everyone use it - it requires a cell phone to receive a 6-digit code texted to you. But it makes it so any hacker trying to change your password or even log in from an unknown device would need to also have your cell phone to do it!! But for you, the legit user, can have any particular device be remembered for 30 days before you have to do the code text again. I think it's a small price to pay for vastly better security.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, KC9BNW, AJ4GQ and 2 others like this.
  3. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know Gary, FZO. I'll contact him about his account.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

NZ4X likes this.
  4. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Talked to him on the Telly a minute ago and he has been in touch with the Zed Admin.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

NZ4X likes this.
  5. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You're absolutely right! Where is the link or menu item so we can sign up for this?

6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I already have it - so the "Sign up" link isn't there....

But it's in your account settings area - FIND IT, DO IT.

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2018-2-16_21-2-16.png

N7ANN and KN7S like this.
  7. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, got it! From the QRZ Homepage, click on my callsign, then select My Account, and there it is!
    If you click on your callsign from any other page, you get an endless loop menu item named Two-Step Verification. Confusing.

W7UUU likes this.