eMachine with XP

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA9SVD, Sep 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing to running linux anymore, its so easy a 9 year old girl can install and use it. Linux Mint Debian Edition is the way to go.

KC8RLU, KF5RRF and KK4NSF like this.
  2. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very little value in that machine. Lots of risk if you put it on a network.

This is just the start of how do I....

But, If you are just passing time with bringing it back to life, I get it.

3. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Now there's a catchy phrase: "When at EOL, you're SOL."

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That's (sort of) funny. I bought an HP laser printer in 1989, and my credit card offered a "lifetime" guarantee on it. When I got the paperwork back, the "lifetime" was for two years! Strangely, I still had it working 27 years later... (although I DID go through quite a few toner cartridges!) When it finally died, a NEW laser printer was about the price of a toner cartridge for the HP. Times change, I guess.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

XP is really good if you need some real hardware I/O ports. And old software that Win 10 Killed.

upload_2020-10-22_6-56-22.png

The Key file is wpa.dbl

WA9SVD likes this.
  6. KJ7OMD

KJ7OMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me say that I have replaced the main boards on an $130,000 IBM server because the caps were bulged out. One had blown off of the MB. The luck of getting a good computer should be cherished!

I'm not sure where you are, but you should look around your community and see if there is a computer re-manufacturer or sometimes a university or hospital will have used good computers for sale. Most of the time they will have the ability to give free computers to those in need. Here Computers for kids will give out computers for free. You might be able to get an actual replacement that has a more modern pc.

7. KJ7OMD

KJ7OMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have a functioning hp1100, just coming up on 16 years now. :) Sure I'm on my own now too.

8. WA9SVD

ONLY 16 years old? I still have (and occasionally USE) a desktop machine upgraded from Win '95 and now with Win '98! Of course, it NEVER sees the "light (or is it darkness?) of the Internet." But it does serve some purposes, and I occasionally use a PoqetPpC, circa 1993 with Win 3.3. And interestingly enough, the (now) Win '98 desktop machine is STILL on it's original back-up battery that works

KK4NSF likes this.
  9. WA9SVD

OK, I took the "chicken" way out. I crossed my fingers, and the machine accepted a (retail) upgrade to Win 7 Ultimate. (HOORAY!) (Activation still to come.) I have to wait until the (coming) weekend to try Win 8.1; I only had 1 GB of memory laying around unused; I won't get the other 3 GB until Thursday. (Max for the machine is 4 GB.) That should be OK for a back-up that just does e-mail and some web browsing.
    Thanks to all for the help.

KA9JLM likes this.
  10. WA9SVD

There were many computers in the past that got a bad lot (lots?) of poorly constructed capacitors; the problem wasn't limited to poorly made or "low-cost" products; some high-end manufacturers were caught up as well. Some computers failed within a very few years, some took longer.. I only first noticed the bulging caps in February 2020, and (thankfully!) backed up what was really important., from a Win XP computer I still used because of some hardware compatibility. It finally completely "gave up the ghost" in October 2020, and I noticed that some of the bulging caps had actually leaked. Agreed, 14 years is long for a computer, but that's usually the OS becomes obsolete, not the hardware. (I still DO have a couple of MS-DOS computers that still work.) I have a couple of mobo's that have good caps, and may (if?) I have time, I can replace the failed computer with another XP machine. Since it won't be on the Internet, it doesn't have to "scream" or have huge hard drives; 60 GB and 20 GB drives will be far more than enough. (And legally, I should be able to use the same XP license as on the dead computer, even if it takes a bit of explaining to MS.)

KJ7OMD likes this.