eMachine with XP

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA9SVD, Sep 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I certainly agree, the machine will NOT be a "screamer." FAR from it. But it WILL (eventually, if/ when upgrading) have 4 GB of memory (maximum possible) from the present 512 MB originally installed. (I do already have the memory necessary.) But as a "back-up" for e-mail and light web browsing, it would be (just barely) acceptable. Those tasks are hardly "speed" or performance intensive. (And better than "nothing" if my main i7 computer "gets sick.") If an upgrade does NOT work out, and it remains an XP box, it will still be good for "vinyl to CD (or MP3) transfers." I just won't bother (permanently) upgrading the memory.
    As interesting (intriguing?) as it may be, I just don't have the time:( (or perhaps patience?:eek:) to set up a computer system with LINUX (of any flavor.) Especially, not for just one application.:rolleyes: But thank you for the offer.

P.S. I DID add a 3.5" floppy to the machine! The floppy connector IS on the motherboard, and there WAS an extra space for the drive (with a 3.5">5.25" adapter,) so I added it "just for grins." Of course, it is hardly useful for too much, since the hard drive doesn't have a 2GB partition for DOS, but may be useful for some software installs.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

My eMachine did come with 2 Restore CDs. They have Windows XP and all of the drivers that match the computer. (Computer still works just fine)

You may want to call customer service at 1-801-401-1419 (The phone number from my restore disk)

If you give them your serial number, They may send you replacement disks for the cost of the disks + shipping.

Calling them may be worth a try. :)

3. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That brand had a, let's say less than good reputation. Some of the reputation was due to poor components. Some was due to the horrible quantity of cr*pware that they (and other consumer oriented machines) were loading to run automatically. A fresh install would improve things just by not loading all the useless bloat. A SSHD would help even more. Add a javascript block on the browser and from my personal experience for basic Office software functions and web browsing you won't notice that much difference between an older machine and the latest models. Assuming the processor is 1.6 GHz or faster. Games, photo or video processing you will notice. Just about everything else? Not so much.

If the OP can't find the XP install disks the machine very well may be fine with 7 or 10.

From what I remember in addition to the home and pro versions of XP there were three different licensing methods. Retail, OEM, and Volume. And each required different install media. So if you had a home OEM license key you had to have a home OEM install disk. Win 7 got worse with adding the (IIRC) media center and ulitimate versions. Vista of course is not to be spoken of if one wishes to retain their sanity. One huge improvement I've seen with Win 10 is that it looks like there is only one install media set with the USB stick. It has all of the versions and the license key determines which version installs.

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I seem to recall getting the same warning when I was restoring two laptops from the actual factory windows CDs a few years ago. Google the issue and you will find a work-around. Wish I could remember more about how I fixed it.

5. KA9JLM

7 may work, but 10 would kill it. I never updated mine because the cost of memory and the slow CPU would not be worth it.

I think the eMachines were a roll off of Gateway. Replacement parts had to be bought from them, Because off the shelf parts would not fit.

About the only thing good about it, Is the real 232 serial and LPT ports. Mine was mainly used to duplicate DVDs. Now it collects dust.

6. WA9SVD

The eMachine I have uses "semi-proprietary" parts; the only real part not normally available is the molded plastic front panel of the (otherwise standard) DVD player; otherwise the parts are all standard; it had a standard Seagate SATA hard drive, generic memory, The MoBo is by Intel, (but the exact model Mobo is hidden under a label.) Even a standard (generic) 3.5" floppy works, as the MoBo had the connector on-board. (It just does not have the fancy, curved plastic front panel.) The machine may well work with Win 7, but that has "Unofficial" extended support for another year or less, I was hoping for possibly upgrading to Win 8.1, which is still (unofficially) supported for another 2-3 years. most currcent software will NOT work (anymore0 with XP, but they do work with Win7 and later versions of Windows.
    BTW, eMachine was bought out by Acer, who was subsequently acquired by Gatewway. Unfortunately, there is no longer ANY support of eMachines; Gateway says they are TOO obsolete.
    It's more an exercise in "spare time" (at present, due to CoVid,) or perhaps an exercise in frustration, but I hate to send a perfectly working computer to e-waste JUST because of an outdated operating system. I don't expect actual support for XP, but I DO expect (?) the ability to receive the activation code if I need it, and have a legitimate, valid license.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  7. KA9JLM

If you have a legitimate machine, Sounds like you do. I can send you a OEM version that you can install on your eMachine.

PM me with your serial number and the sticker number that is on your eMachine.

I can send you the latest XP Service Pack also.

8. WA9SVD

Thanks. I'll include a "jpeg" of the sticker on the back of the machine. I already have both the SP2 CD (freely GIVEN away en masse when it was released,) and the SP3 CD. (Had to pay for the CD, although the on-line SP3 was free.

KA9JLM likes this.
  9. KJ7OMD

KJ7OMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope my 2 year old machine lasts as long as yours has. :)

10. WA9SVD

I got side-tracked, but will (again) tackle the eMachine this weekend. I KNOW some models of that brand were not very good (to put it mildly;) a friend had a different model, and the caps bulged and leaked after about two years.:( This T5010 seems good, no bulging caps, and it DOES run properly, and I temporarily used a retail Win XP upgrade disk to prove it would work, and it accepted the license number from the retail version. I have to remove it, though, as it is actually used on a different computer. (Sadly, I actually decommissioned THAT XP computer, because it had bulging/leaking caps [after 12 years] and finally, wouldn't even boot into POST.) I just wanted to use the (legitimate) license number on the Microsoft sticker on the back of the computer. Maybe Win 7 is the way to go; it MAY even work with Win 8.1 if I'm lucky.

BTW, eMachine was acquired by Acer, and ultimately Gateway. Gateway doesn't have the restore CD's for eMachines; it's considered "(well past) EOL."