eMachine moldy oldie

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA9SVD, Jul 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, here's a new (err, old?) question. I inherited an eMachine T5010, with (legit) Win XP Home ed. and a Pentium 4 processor. I want to use it as part of a stereo system for copying vinyl to CD's.
    PROBLEM: The battery is missing. Can I just replace the battery, or do I have to do something else beside that before I fire it up? It will never see the light of the Internet. It sat unused for a year or two.
    I "giggled" s much as I could, but could only find the "user manual," but no service manuals, etc. (Google only had 8 pages on the machine.)
    If anyone has info on the hardware, OR service info, I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance.

P.S> One last thing: Where to plug in the audio cable for the DVD ROM drive?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, just replace the battery--it should be replaced every 3-5 years, anyway.

My brother had that model eMachine--loved it. : )

3. WA9SVD

I have replaced the battery, just on principle. (I DO have some, you know!:D) But I can't for the life of me see where to connect the audio cable from the DVD drive. All I see are the two (empty) Fire-wire connectors for the front panel. (There IS s a Fire-wire connector on the BACK panel.) The mobo is apparently made by INTEL, but the model number has been covered by a bar code label.

4. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

On the front side of the case, underneath the 'eMachines' logo, there is a hidden panel with a door you slide up. Inside that panel, you should see connections for FireWire, USB, microphone and headphone jacks (The headphone jack is the one on the far right.). If you have the PDF of the user's manual, it'll be seen on page 14 of 96 (or page 8 in the printed copy).

There is also an audio output jack on the rear. It will be colored "lime green" and will be in the middle of 3 identically sized connections. The red one is for microphone and the blue one is for line-in connections.

Just curious, what kind of program are you using to rip your vinyl records to CDs? I use a combination of Audacity and (in year's past) I have a copy of Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 3.0. That one works great at minimizing or eliminating as much noise from clicks and pops. When I transfer my records, I play them "wet" (spray a layer of distilled water on the surface of each side and cover every groove) and drop the needle and record the sound into the program.

I hope that helps.

73s, de KC8RLU:cool:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  5. WA9SVD

I guess you misunderstand. INTERNAL IDE (CD, DVD drives) have an audio cable that is supposed to connect from the (rear) of the drive (via a 4 conductor shielded cable) to the motherboard; it has nothing to do with the external connections. The original shielded cable is connected to the (rear) of the drive, but I don't know where the mobo connection is located.
    I'm well aware of the external connections for mic, headphones. etc. The "hidden" panel with mic and headphone sockets also has two USB ports; the single Fire-wire connection and four more USB connectors are in the back. There's no provision for more Fire-wire connectors, unless an after-market bracket is found. (Probably not much chance, but there IS a PCIe (short) socket that should allow an add-in USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 card.

I use Roxio Audio Central to just copy whole records, not individual tracks.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Did someone call?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. WA9SVD

Go back to thinking about Vanna.:p:rolleyes:

8. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, I misread the question. Yes, I'm well aware of the audio connections on the back of CD & DVD computer drives. However, I haven't ever bothered to use them in 10 years, since most programs like VLC will still play audio without using the cable. I'd be really surprised if most manufacturers of those drives have stopped including those connections at some time. And yet, motherboards do still carry analog and digital audio connections for front panel jacks, not direct from an optical drive.

9. WA9SVD

SATA DVD/CD drives (with the appropriate motherboard) apparently transfer the audio straight through. The e-Machine (apparently) came with an IDE DVD drive, and an appropriate cable, but I can't find the connector on the Motherboard. I'm hoping it isn't behind the heatsink; for a Pentium 4 on the machine, it's a pain and a half to remove.

10. WA9SVD

Maybe I'm now asking the wrong question. The e-Machine has an official MS license (with license key in 5 character groups ) on the back, for WIn XP Home Edition.
    Does anyone have a "restore"CD disk with the OS for an eMachine Model T5010 they can part with? (Obviously, I'd at least pay for postage.) If I can re-install the OS (to a replacement hard drive, the old one was bad) I can (re)activate the machine with the license key on the back, and install whatever (and only) software I need.