ad: ProAudio-1

Em Comm Gear

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6GUA, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KM6GUA

KM6GUA Ham Member QRZ Page

Having not found an existing discussion that was quite this broad on the topic, I decided to start one. I am a fairly new HAM and am still working on procuring an adequate Em Comm kit.

I think its appropriate to divide this topic into two subcategories.

1. Personal Em Comm Kit

2. Volunteer / Public Service Em Comm Kit

What equipment do you use and what is your methodology in the storage and employment of these kits?

In the military, I was taught to Keep It Stupid Simple (KISS). My current personal kit is lacking, however it is still a fairly functional multipurpose one. My only XCVR is a Baofeng BF-F9V2+ (HT) with a primary Nagoya NA-771 antenna, a secondary stock Baofeng rubber duck antenna, an extended 3800mah primary battery, the standard 1800mah battery as a backup, a TRAM dual band mag mount (mostly for mobile use), base charger, Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus solar kit and a car inverter.

Not much to it but its flexible, portable and works. I have more items that enable me to do both RF and TCP/IP APRS as well as Software Defined Radio (SDR) for my mobile device or laptop.

I plan to add items and find some sort of bag to put it all in. I was hoping to get inspiration from the community to develop a kit that is robust and capable to work for personal and public service Em Comm.

I will post pictures of my gear later in the thread. Thanks all and 73's!

2. KB9UWU

KB9UWU Ham Member QRZ Page

3. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

INCOMING!

AI7PM and KF5VGK like this.
  4. KB1PA

KB1PA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Find a local group that tries to do this. They can give you location specific advice. Discussing it on here will only ignite a firestorm.

WU8Y likes this.
  5. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought KISS method meant keep it simple stupid. If it's keep it stupid simple I am jacked from the get go, or JFTGG.

K7WFM and KM6GUA like this.
  6. DU7DVE

DU7DVE Ham Member QRZ Page

double post

7. DU7DVE

DU7DVE Ham Member QRZ Page

LMAO!

8. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome to the hobby and thank you for your military service! As KB1PA stated this forum isn't the best place to ask about Em Comms, although you would think in the spirit of friendship to other hams it would be. It is after all, ham radio discussion. But sometimes you have subjects that have been beat to death in the past, and you have no way of knowing that if you're new. A Google search for that subject specific discussion would be better. And just remember,,,, the hobby is much, much different on the air than it tends to be on here some times. But this forum can be a ton of fun, and very helpful at the same time. Keep coming back.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  9. WA4BCS

WA4BCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Try eHam.com. They have a forum for EM Com.

KM6GUA likes this.
  10. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Honestly with the way things have changed in em comm's I do not know anything about it anymore. We had a true emergency locally last week with a tornado event. Had the radio on, but very little mention of the emergency at all. All kinds of stuff was going on with all kinds of services, but no amateur radio. And that's ok I think, ? I never left the house but the radio was on. Nothing was needed. I never went lookie lewing either. Did not want to get in the way. Things may be different in other places. I think information you seek will show up here on this thread.

KC9VFO and KM6GUA like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.