ELMERS

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD5LPB, Nov 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD5LPB

KD5LPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Tell us about how your local elmers have helped you in any way.

2. KD5LPB

KD5LPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the people here are very friendly and helpful.. Im grateful for that.

3. NG5E

NG5E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My elmers were Bill Reynolds (whereabouts unknown) and Bernie Ortschied, N5BJ (SK) from Jasper, TX.  Bill was a very patient man who took the time to teach a young teenage ham the code and give the test.  I'll always remember him telling me that he was giving me a practice CW test (I was very nevous about the test).  When I copied perfectly, he then sprung it on me that it was the real deal.  The only hard part was waiting for the ticket!

Bernie Ortschied took it from there.  He let me use his station to make my first contact.  The contact was on CW (I was a novice) to Pella, Iowa.  What a thrill!  Bernie then loaned me an old rock-bound 40 meter CW rig he had and helped me build an antenna tuner.  We later built a HV power supply together.  I learned a great deal from all of these projects and just by being around Bernie.  It's still amazing to me that a complete stranger would go to such great lengths to help me.  I get all choked up talking about ole Bernie.  I spent a lot of time at his station watching him work high-speed CW and the OSCAR sats.  He was never too busy to help and always patient enough to answer my dumb questions.  Bernie Ortschied was a great man and Elmer.  I'll always remember him that way.  

Dave, NG5E

4. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I think QRZ and the hams that hang in there with these forums are the real elmers of today. And much more accessable than my elmer was back when. Thanks to all to try to help and QRZ for being there.
    Remember, there is no such thing as a dumb question. We all had to start somewhere.

5. K5CEY

K5CEY QRZ Member

I'll certainly have to give credit to a local Ham, Al Klokau, W5VSH. He gave us our code practice lessons at the Irving Amateur Radio Club. (Irving,Texas).Learned the code on my own,but without his regular practice sessions,It would have taken forever to come up to speed. The code oscillator he used at the club house was home brew, built on an old Atwater Kent radio chassis. He gave us our actual Novice code test with an "Instructograph".( A code machine that used perforated paper tape). That was in 1955 and I understand that Al is still an active member in the club. There's no telling how many students that Al has taught code to over the years.
                          John  K5CEY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.