Elmers Wanted

Discussion in 'Becoming a Ham - Q&A' started by AA7BQ, Jan 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

The term Elmer means mentor in ham radio. Elmers can make the difference for a new or prospective ham, between becoming one or not and/or staying licensed.

Let's face it, to an outsider, ham radio can be somewhat intimidating. There's technical knowledge, there's lingo, convention, and custom. I don't know about you, but I still remember how nervous I was having my first QSO. Nearly 35 years ago for me, it was a CW contact and I was doubly scared tapping down on the key. I didn't have an Elmer, just the internet and some prior commercial RF knowledge.

Since then I've Elmer-ed many folks and many are now long term hams.

Now it's your turn. If you see a question here and you think you can provide positive help, constructive criticism, and/or friendly encouragement then this is the perfect place to pitch in. We're going to try and keep this forum on-topic and we're going to start by curating the replies that are given to make sure that they answer the key question of "is it helpful". So, unless it's helpful in some way then please don't post it here.

To further underscore, we're specifically asking that wisecracks be curtailed and that friendliness and helpfulness prevail.

Welcome new hams to QRZ and the hobby!

73 -fred

W9YW, KC3TEC, KA9JLM and 14 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.