ad: w5yi

Elimination of 15db Gain Limit on Amateur Amplifiers

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI4AX, Aug 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Illegal CB and "freebanders" will ALWAYS find a way to run high power, whether "legal" or illegal amps are used. One can have a choice of running a 10 Watt transceiver, (K3 or IC-718, etc.) that have low power, but more than adequate receivers. The option of running high power (1000+ Watts) SHOULD be a viable option. Obviously, running 500 mW is a personal choice for QRP'ers, but they don't expect to drive a KW+ amp with that drive level.

2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You are absolutely correct, only strict enforcement of the current rule will help to solve the problem.

3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I must agree with this 100%.

N2EY likes this.
  4. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

EXACT same argument used to restrict gun ownership! Someone bad might use it so the good guys can't have it!

NL7W, WD4DXQ and WD0BCT like this.
  5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If the government felt that you needed a firearm, an HF antenna , or an amplifier cable of greater 15DB gain they would have issued you one.

WD4IGX likes this.
  6. KD0PEZ

KD0PEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is not true. I've listed amps on eBay that were ham Amos and they have gotten flagged because "them CBers could use them on 11 meters". It takes a lot of hams with nothing better to do with their lives than to sit and flag down Craigslist post and eBay posts, to get them removed.

7. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

What? Haven't heard that one since the division Chief went off about something. Okay, if you're serious about that statement what's next? If the government
    wanted you to have pizza, beer or anything else they would issue it to you. Enjoy commuting on a bicycle all the "healthy" government issued food and the
    government housing.....hint if you haven't experienced the last 2 you're in for a real treat :)

8. KI6EFA

KI6EFA Ham Member QRZ Page

Who the hell cares about CBers do with their equipment? They're not on our bands. Some guy who wants to give himself a handle shouldn't be a reason to keep me from having something that'll bump my Argonaut 509 to full legal power. That's common sense's job.

9. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think I need to convince you that it is a good idea, because you seem like you are convinced that it is a bad idea.

I did own an LDMOS amp that was not FCC restricted. I imported it from an overseas dealer.

It enabled my exciter to remain cool while I ran the amp with full output.
    In a pinch I could run other lower power transceivers I had to full legal power.
    It was NOT capable of transmission on frequencies between 26 and 28MHz.

In the future, manufacturers could supply lower cost exciters and have the amplifier do all of the heavy lifting. This could decrease bulk and cost. As it is, conventional transceivers need a large, heavy heat sink and PA circuitry to drive an amplifier at 100 watts. A DXpedition can simply pack a QRP transceiver and LDMOS amp and be on their way. Less weight, less bulk, less cost.

MOST of the comments seem to revolve around people whining that this would encourage more hams to go QRO and it would leave them unable to make contacts in a pileup. This is simply not the case. It would not really enable more people to go QRO, since most already have a 100 watt transceiver.

10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And if you have a 100 watt radio then even 10db is sufficient to put out a very good signal. My only concern with higher gain is distortion products. There are some transceivers, like the Ten Tec Eagle and the Kenwood TS-590 that have less than clean transmitters and a higher gain amplifier would only exacerbate the problem. At 20db of gain unwanted distortion products would become 5db, more than double, what they are coming from current 15db amps. The fact that hams can build amplifiers with higher gain is not of concern to me since hams who are capable of building such amplifiers also understand the need for excellent linearity and good signal purity. The problem is in the appliance ops who would simply buy such a device and connect it up with little care or an understanding of spurious emissions.

If you are good enough to work QRP then you should be good enough to build an amplifier, it's not rocket science.