Electronic 12v timer needed

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K8EA, Oct 12, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K8EA

K8EA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi folks. This has always been a great forum for finding unique products and solutions so I hope someone can help me with this one. I need a very simple 12v timer. Nothing fancy but one that will go on whenever 12v is applied and stay on until the 12v is disconnected. Short story, I want to know how long some remote equipment has been on. I already have the 12v source keyed with a relay. So something that just says that the equipment has been on for 4:33 or 2:15 hours:minutes, would work just fine. The issue I am trying to tackle is to related to my remote ham radio station. All to often the equipment is inadvertently left running by another op. I can usually tell from my console who it is. But sometimes to be precise, I'd like to know, say that the amplifier has been running for six hours unattended. something simple needed. Any help appreciated.

2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

There are lots of hour meters listed on eBay. Just search for "12 volt hour meter".

4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's one that offers remote reset. You could attach a switch or relay to reset it to 0 when needed. Or attach a small circuit to reset it each time power is applied. That way you would know how long the power had been on since last cycled:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CURTIS-INS...839895&hash=item364a332186:g:40cAAOSwBPxcka50

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

This may be a silly question. Why would your amplifier be running for six hours unattended ?

Sounds like you need smoke detection shut down.